Should i have spanked my kids when they were younger?

now, don't get me wrong, my kids are great, but yeah, they get away with murder with me. always have...to a point. i am now kinda wishing that when my kids were young and yelling and screaming at me or whatever, that if i spanked them just one time in their lives, that they wouldn't scream and yell at me now?

MommaFossil

Asked by MommaFossil at 9:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• It has nothing to do with spanking. I have never spanked mine and they dont yell & scream at me. It is about respect. There are other ways to punish without hitting your child, and its mostly being consistent in punishment. Plus, if your kids are teens or close they all go through a stage, and again just punish them with grounding, and what not.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes and no.. I am a big believer in respect your parents.. yelling and screaming at me or my other half will be punished, maybe not by physical force but somehow.. grounded from something they love, extra chores.. something.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think spanking is the answer for everyone, although it did work with my daughter. But discipline is important no matter what route you choose - for some kids there are more effective ways to discipline other than spanking. I do think it's easier to start disciplining a child when they are young and that it helps prevent things from getting out of control when they are older but it's never too late to start.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Spanking doesn't work on everychild. So you don't know if that would have been the answer. I use timeout as the main form as punishment and use spanking only is situations were DS could hurt himself. Even at 22 months time out and reasoning works better than spanking. It's still not to late start teaching them it is not OK to talk/behave that way.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We did spank ours when they were younger and neither one of them act like that. Spanking is not for everyone, and that's fine. But, it's not the end of the world if you do choose to spank your child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Spanking wouldn't have fixed that. Discipline would have. Consistency and showing them who is boss by commanding respect as you raise them. And its not to late for that to start happening.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011