Is this a sign of allergy?

This question might be TMI, so I apologize. But my 22-month-old had 3 dirty diapers today that caused her pain when she was "going" (she whimpered and got flushed in the face) - they weren't constipation though; it was closer to diarrhea. In the BM there were large pieces of black olives, which she ate quite a few of yesterday. I changed her diaper within minutes of each movement, but every time it had already caused bright red, painful bumps all around her vaginal area.

Is this a sign that she might be allergic to olives? Food she eats often shows up in her BM, but never this much of it and she never seems to be in pain. :-/

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 9:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably not. The few times I've given my son olives, he's had the exact same reaction. I think it's just because they are so acidic and so well-preserved. They just don't digest well.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Maybe she had gas cramps as she was going. That would make anyone uncomfortable. My kids always had rashes like that after eating oranges and it was from the acid...it just eats their tender skin raw. Put a limit on how many she can have next time and see what happens :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and pretty much the only thing she would eat off the table was the olives. :-P I have no idea how many she ate because my husband was sitting next to her and feeding her, lol. Sounds like too many though, so I bet that's the problem!!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2008