How long do babies normally teeth before a tooth actually cuts through?

My son will be 4 months next week and is showing all the signs of teething. There are two little white swollen spots on his bottom gum but how long does it normally take before they actually come through? He's fussier than usual but it taking it pretty well so far. Does it get worse before the tooth comes in?

jessicarae787

Asked by jessicarae787 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could come in tomorrow, or it could take weeks, even months. Babies are tricky, and they're always doing something that makes us scratch our heads!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Wow, that is EXACTLY the same situation as us. 4 months next week, different kind of fussy the last couple days, been chewing on his hand for weeks and drooling for weeks too, but really acting like a tooth is coming soon. Even got the runny nose last night. Good luck to you, we used orajel, just once so far, yesterday, and it was hysterical watching him lick around and thinking....What the heck is going on?!?!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My son had the little white nubs for like 2months before they came in. He just got his teeth this week. We used Baby Orajel swabs. You snap the end off one end and the liquid fills the other end, and then you swab it on the area. It worked so well, plus its less dangerous than the actual gel kind, because too much could make them too numb and then they could forget to swallow and choke on their drool. I read that in my book I got. Its call Your baby's frist year week by week. Its wonderful!
    SammysMom08

Answer by SammysMom08 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My baby will be 4 months in 2 weeks and is doing the exact same thing. it could be a sign of teething but this is also the time that they are discovering their hands and what they can do with them. It's very normal for babies to chew  on their hands and things you put in their hands at this age and not be teething at all.  My cousin's baby did these same thing at around 4 months and didn't actually get teeth until 10 months.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 8:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008