What age do think it is alright to tell your kid that Santa and the others are not real?

I was the first child so my mom just winged it. She told me that Santa, The Easter Bunny and all the were not real at 4. I remember asking "what about Barney?' Yep that one too.

Anyways have you told your child yet or do you think it's better to let them find out on there own? Which is what was done with the others.

Or do you even tell them they are reall in the first place.?

I feel bad about lieing to DS but I don't want him to miss out on all the magic in Childhood.

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I didn't tell my kids until they came and asked me - that was about 3rd grade. Some of their friends at that point still believed, others didn't - but for those that did I made it a point to tell them not to talk to their friends about it. I went to a Christian school and they told us in kindergarten that Santa wasn't real, my parents along with a whole bunch of others pulled their kids out. IMO, the "magic" lasts longer than 4-5 years. In fact, we still do "Santa" even for my older kids, they just know where it's actually coming from. MY parents still do "Santa" when we get there on Christmas morning!

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The key to your question here is "Magic of Childhood". Kids grow up faster these days then ever, why not let the magic last as long as it possibly can? Then they grow up & the magic stops! That is why everyone loves Disney World so even the adults can get back a little magic which is very rare these days. My opinion is let them figure it out on their own which they eventually will along with all the other things we don't want them to know about. You only live once so don't you deserve to have the best childhood ever? Isn't that what every parent wants? At times I hear & see Parents dragging their children down into there own adult sadness since they have probably missed out on a great childhood themselves. I am thankful I had the best ever with all the fantasy & Magic I could have asked for, so my mission is to provide that & more for my kids!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never had to do the telling...they kinda figured it out on their own and I just confirmed it. I did tell them that there's a ton of magic at this time of year but it's coming from the kindness and generosity toward others. I also told them the story about the real St. Nicholas and they were like, "cool". Both of my kids would like to just ignore the big rodent that comes at Easter. lol
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my dughter is 7 and still belives in all of that i just dont have the heart right now to tell her that they are not real
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't believe in ever telling them. They are smart enough to figure it out on their own. But I don't go overboard on that stuff. I never made a big deal about them and never really tried to hide that I was doing the presents and stuff. All of the people I've met that were "traumatized" by finding out their parents "lied" to them about Santa found out because their parents picked an arbitrary age to inform them those things aren't real or had an older sibling break it to them early. Everyone I know figured it out on their own and were just fine with it (I was 8 or 9 when I figured it out and had more fun playing Santa than getting stuff from Santa).
    I've never said one way or the other if those things are real anyway. When they ask I turn the question around and ask if they think they are real and why.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I hate to say it but as soon as they start school it's time to give it up. Someone else at school will no doubt crush your child with the news if you don't..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• we never told him any were real, but we never told him they weren't, either. he figured it out by himself before your child's age. there's not a lot that gets past my ds....

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I felt the same way about not being honest with them from the start. But I also wanted to see their joy and magic in believing in those things. I decided to let them discover on the playground once they got to school. This year they asked a couple of questions and I kept in short and simple - I could tell they still wanted to believe so my answers did not say otherwise. I just kept telling myself for generations kids have grown up believing and it didn't do any long term damage to us.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was crushed in grade 1 or 2. I remember being so shocked. When our children were about 5 they asked, so we told them then.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We had one family member who told their son Santa was not real, I guess he was around 3-4 yrs old. He came to the Christmas party our family has every year and started trying to tell the kids. Oh that was no good and no fun. We had to tell his mom if she wanted to bring him next year she had to tell him not to go around telling kids who still believed in Santa that there was no Santa. So with that, yeah, I let them figure it out on their own. Even after they figure it out they know if they tell the younger kids anything otherwise then they get no gifts. If they dont believe in Santa, they dont get anything *wink*.

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011