Disipline in public......

yay or nay?

if yes how do you go about it?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We remove our kids from the situation or walk about 10 feet away and ask her if she is done.. I am also that mean parent that tells them not to touch me until they are done throwing a fit at which point I will hug her and tell her I love her but I dont love her fits.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• the HOW depends on the situation/offense..and yes, i will discipline whenever the need arises. i will not wait until we are 'out of the eye of strangers' or 'in the car'. i don't tell him, 'wait until your daddy gets home'. what's the point in that?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When my kids need discipline they receive discipline. I will take them to a restroom or off to the side so as not to embarrass them. I feel the embarrassment takes away from the punishment. No hands on (spanking and the such). I will dish out a good talking to and restriction.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Nay. My problem with it is simple. I do not spank my kids and dont appreciate having to have my child exposed to it. I had it happen not long ago and this woman was punishing her son in the girls bathroom and my dd was scared. So were her friends. None of them get spanked and all they saw in their eyes was a parent hitting their child. If someone wants to do that then go home, or somewhere away from other kids to do it. You dont know what other kids are being raised like, and you could scare them, which is not fair to them.

Answer by gemgem at 9:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I discipline my kids regardless of where we are. They are expected to behave whether we are home or out!

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Depends on the problem with the child, but usually I will take her to the side, tell her that if she doesn't behave then we will have to leave. If she persists, then I tell her that her actions are what is making us have to leave and I drop everything and go home.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• NO! Remove from situation & address the issue in private, like the car and if things do not calm then we go home.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If we are in public and disipline is needed it is given. We will eave a croweded space for a more priviate one, but sometimes you just can't. That said, as for GemGem's story I have a huge issue with boys in the girl's bathroom for anything. I am all for the "family" restrooms but if there isn't one I don't think you should cross that line.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I personally don't spank or hit my daughter, but I don't care if others do- that's their decision. I will discipline in public if necessary, but I try my best not to yell at her in public because I don't want her to be embarrassed. Usually I pick her up while she's tantrumming and take her outside.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well scout mom, what would you do if you had a son who needed help using the restroom and it was just you and him out somewhere with no "family" restroom? Like he was potty trained but he had to poop and doesn't know how to wipe properly or something. Personally, I'd take him in the bathroom with me, as would most moms. I don't understand the problem- these are little boys!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2011