Should I really get rid of my cat i've had forever just because i'm pregnant?

pantherswifey10

Asked by pantherswifey10 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• NO, they make rubber gloves and masks so you can clean out the little box, if your cat is up to date on shots and what not i see no reason why you have to get rid of them.. take them to the vet and pick up the supplies to make sure you are safe cleaning a litter box and all should be well
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, that's an old wives' tale. We had cats from the time we got married through when we had children and now. You must be careful about litterbox is the only thing when you are pregnant. If no one else can clean them for you, I would use disposable gloves and a dust mask just to be careful. When the babies were born, the cats sniffed and let them alone.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, just wear a dust mask and gloves if you have to change the litter box...
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well my fiance cleans the litter box but i just can't see getting rid of her
    pantherswifey10

Comment by pantherswifey10 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• MO I have been pregnant and I have had 2 cats the whole time, I think if you keep the litter box clean and your hands washed after cleaning and you don't allow the cat in the child's room then you should have no problem. I did not have any problems with mine what so ever. They say that a cat will sleep on a child's face because of the warmth but have you ever heard of a child dying because of a cat sleeping on their face. I just think if you watch the cat and as I said before take the right precautions everything will be fine. Whats the difference between a dog and a cat, you could have your baby sleeping in a bouncy chair and a dog jump on them. If a parent is responsible accidents can be prevented...............I wish you luck but if it was me I would keep kit cat
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had a cat named Spike. I was really sick during pregnancy and caught the cat several times jumping in the babies crib. After much consideration, I gave up to cat. It was adopted out 2 hours after I gave him up. I believe in my heart he is at a great home and my baby was never affected.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Absolutely not. And it isn't an old wives tale. Cats poop can carry bacteria that can affect the baby and you. Just have hubby clean it or do it with a mask and gloves :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There is no reason to get rid of your cat. Stay away from the litter box, and you'll be just fine. I had a cat while pregnant. My DD is 3.5 years old now and we still have a cat.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 9:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• no. I didn't get rid of mine. Just have someone else clean the liter box out, and if you don't have anyone else to do it do like zoejains_momma said and get gloves and a mask to clean it and stay out of that room.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No. And if you've had the cat for more than 6 months before the pregnancy, AND it was actively infected you have already been exposed, and it poses NO threat- not even if you are cleaning the little box. Partial information is misinformation, which is dangerous for pet owners.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2011