Bill collectors... am i wrong?

i owe the hospital a couple of hundred bucks..which i will admit i have neglected to pay. I made an agreement the other day that i would pay $25 a month. well, i called to pay my first payment and the bitch on the phone says that because i am months behind i HAVE to pay 100.00 ...um, first of all..i don't HAVE to do anything. She then says she will give me a settlement offer of 320.00...that i can pay that in full right now. Um, hello..if i had it i would pay it. then she says.."you can pay the 25 and pay the 320 within 20 days..if its not paid we are sending you to collections." i was like, it won't be paid within 20 days. i have more important shit to pay. so i told her to go ahead and send it to collections that if my 25 dollars a month isnt good enough then they aint getting shit. This just pisses me off. I shouldnt be having to pay this crap to begin with. hospitals do this crap all the time...finding crap insurance wont cover so they can charge you later. whatever.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Mail them a check. If they cash it, they have accepted your payment. If you have a payment schedule in place, then they should've sent you a written copy of it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Not all insurance covers everything. It's your responsibility to pay whatever isn't covered. If you want a better insurance policy, find something that covers most stuff and pay a higher premium. It's your bill, so yes, you have to pay it. If you haven't been making payments, then of course they can send it to collections. And if the woman on the phone is following policy, there's no reason to call her a bitch. She was doing her job.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• actually, if its your bill, yes, you should be paying that crap. (you obviously owe more than 'a couple of hundred'. what do you think you're doing? pay what you can monthly, don't miss, and they can't do anything. however, if you've already gone without paying, i'm surprised your account hasn't already been turned over.
    it is your responsibility to take care of your bill.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• uhm, they are being nice by giving you a payment plan. They are not a bank and do NOT have to do this. And most of them are very nice if you talk to them nicely and show some effort to pay. Gosh, if I were that hosipital I would be sending it directly to collections.
    They don't want "fast" money. They want the money you are already late paying on.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You owe the money if you don't pay they can sue you. I would simply mail them a check for 25 bucks and do that every single month until paid off.  They might send you to their outside collection company but that is simply so billing can move on to more current accounts.  Since you haven't bothered to pay so far you probably have already been reported to the credit bureaus which is well within their right.  You are an adult and in life you have bills you pay them in a timely manner you don't have to deal with bill collectors at all.  We have good insurance and still have doctor bills from time to time.  I set up payment plans immediately and stick to them never had an issue.   

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I hate bill collectors.. this economy sucks for those of us with no pockets. I understand that you need to pay for services but dang it, a hospital visit can't be avoided!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I mean, what good is insurance when it leave you owing the hospital money?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• no, its not that much more. they just want fast money is what they are doing. the original bill is like 390
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Next time, ask to talk with a supervisor. DH has worked at lots of hospitals. He's seen so many people who don't pay at all. They should be willing to work with what you can afford. Most places wait 90 days before sending things to collections. Try to keep within that window.

I recently had my insurance cancelled. The company couldn't tell me why they did it. Their best guess was that it was a computer glitch. It was a real PITA to get it straightened out.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well, i'm thinking of calling her supervisor. because i was told one thing and then i call to actually give them their money and get hustled by this bitch..um no. If they want their money then they will take what i am able to give.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011