Easter bunny?

So, I am not religious at all and am raising my child the same way. I'm not an atheist, just a deist who is confident in her belief in God and doesn't feel the need to push this fact (to me, it is fact) on others and disrespect their beliefs. I do tell my daughter that God loves her, but we sure don't read any religious texts or talk about any specific god or goddess. But being Americans, we like holidays! So sure, we celebrate Easter, and Christmas, and Yule, and Halloween, and Hanukkah because it's fun.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and believes in Santa. Should I attempt to instill a belief in the easter bunny as well? Honestly I think it's stupid. Why can't I just give her an easter basket and we can make cupcakes and color eggs together? Last year we did an egg hunt (I "hid" the eggs in plain sight) but a magic bunny hiding them never came up since she was just a baby and wouldn't have understood anyway. Seems Santa is much cooler than the bunny. So those of you whose children believe (or used to believe) in the easter bunny- why? And those of you whose children don't- why? I figure I got about a week to start hyping Easter.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 9:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• My kids just see the Easter Bunny as what it should be.. a sign of spring. Yes, I believed in the Easter bunny but was quite confused as to how a bunny had eggs and why he stole from the chickens and ducks lol. The Bunny is whom we thank for spring along with the pretty blue birds and each year we leave carrots on the back porch for the wild bunnies in thanks for spring. As a religious icon, it's a no go.. for fun.. why not?! Just make sure the kiddos understand the OTHER reason we give thanks for Easter.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I always thought the rabbit and eggs symbolized fertility?
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• you know, its funny..we never 'believed' in an Easter bunny. the bunny just always represented a sign of spring, as its the time a lot of creatures come out after a cold winter. we did color eggs and hide them. it was just something to do..never meant anything one way or the other.
    i still color eggs..and occasionally, my ds wants to help, but he's not that into it, either.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I will not be teaching my son that there is an "Easter Bunny". I will teach the real reason for the season, that of Christ's death and resurrection, and that the basket is a celebration of Spring.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, among other things... fertility- which the onset of spring (chosen date for easter, theft/merging of religions) symbolizes, and is the chosen time for numerous celebrations.

Personally, I don't do santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc. I'm not big on telling lies to kids. They have vivid enough imaginations, they don't need help from me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My 3 year old hasn't been exposed to the Easter Bunny, really. I don't know whether he will be or not. I guess we're doing the same thing we did with Santa - letting him express whether or not he's interested and following his lead. I don't know if he thinks Santa is real or not, but we're willing to go along with that kind of thing if he does. He's a little young yet, I think, to start really getting into the religious stuff, so we'll probably hold off on that until we can really get into it with him - we want to educate him as well as we can on the various religions and opinions there are, though. We don't believe the same as most Christians (reject the concept of the Atonement, for example, or the existence of the devil or hell), and want to raise him to where he can make his own religious choices, where he understands his options enough to really choose. But for now we're just letting him enjoy his childhood! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• All 4 of my kids believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, etc. Now a days kids are pushed to grow up so quickly, in school, and in society. I feel that these are fun symbols to encourage a healthy imagination, which to me anyway, is important. And when your child goes to school, it might be a bit confusing to her as to why all the other kids are excited to see what the "Bunny" leaves for them. I personally don't see the harm in it, since it isn't a religious icon or anything. But you are her mother and i"m sure you'll make the right decision that would be best for her!! :)
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We are a Santa, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy free home. But we still celebrate not only the Christian versions but the Pagan holidays (as we are an interfaith home)... They still get the stories, the gifts, candy, games, etc. But they also know Santa/Bunny/Fairy are not real... Just because you don't teach her they are real doesn't mean she can't have fun with them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We are teaching that the bunny is a symbol of spring and rebirth. My DD is questioning if an actual bunny hides the eggs...it's cute.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My kids never got into the Easter Bunny but they love egg hunts, candy and a big dinner-
    Not sure why the Bunny is not as cool as Santa- must be the lack of gifts-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011