Baby near dog with possible MANGE?

I'm visiting my mom and I think their dog has mange. He's been itchy and now has patches of hair missing from his back legs and bum. My mom says no it's because they keep trying to go at him with the scissors to cut off clumps of hair (he's got that matty kind of hair) and he doesn't like it so he just looks like crap because of that.
Anyway, my baby had a small rash on her chest from what I THOUGHT was her drooling (teething) and it's been hard to get rid of. Tonight it seems it's spreading down her belly. Do you think it's spread to her? If so what do I do? She's got a doc appt. on Monday already. She's not feverish and doesn't SEEM to be itchy - she's in good spirits. She's rubbing her eyes a lot but she's usually tired this time of night.
Should I call the doc early or wait until Monday? What would you put on the rash? ICK!!!

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure if your baby could get if from the dog, but I would DEFINATELY take her to the doctor! to find out what that rash is, and explain the situation to your Doctor. Baby's don't usually get rashes from teething drool. neither of mine ever have. I would definately get it checked out.
    Kimikee101

Answer by Kimikee101 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I looked it up and it says "Some types of mange are not contagious to humans, but most of them are". Then it goes on about how the mites don't reproduce on human skin as quickly as on dog's skin. It doesn't say what to do though and i'm freaking out!! ewww... I didn't know they were MITES - I've never been around a dog with mange before.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Of course I am ASSUMING it's mange... but i don't know what else it could be.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Mange isn't very common... Allergies are more common in dogs than mange. I wouldn't freak but if it would make you feel better take your son to the dr and tell him about it. Best of luck
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• mange is from a parasite and if the dog isnt up to date on shots than it could very well be mange. my dog is white and has sensitive skin because of that.... my vet told he, after receiving treatment for mange, that some dogs are more prone to getting mange because of their sensitivity. I would definitely take the safe route and talk to an on call doctor or take your daughter in.. Even if it isnt mange, your daughter could have dog/dander allergies, etc. Look into it before it gets out of hand.
    AmyJoost

Answer by AmyJoost at 2:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Some types of mange is contagious to humans, my guess is she may just be allergic to the dog in general. Keep her chest dry, it may be from the drool but the dr will know more.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 4:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2008