Do you know of anyone who smoke(s)(ed) marijuana while preggo?

I am disgusted that a childhood friend, more like a cousin, is 5 months pregnant and broadcasting that she is smoking weed on Facebook. She is a young mother...already has two children and is pregnant yet again. She doesn't take care of the children she has and I am really bothered. Should I say something to her? Or just butt out because it's not my business. You can be as honest as you want.

MrsJStearns

Asked by MrsJStearns at 10:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• CPS!!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I dont have an issue with people who smoke pot. I have an issue with people who do it irresponsibly which it sounds like she is. I could call CPS on her.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes I know someone that smoked pot during their entire pregnancy pretty much all day every day. Her son was only 5 lbs at birth, is hearing impaired, and developmentally delayed. I don't know if his issues were caused by the pot smoking, but I assume that the issues were cause by how much she was smoking. I will tell you that I knew she was doing this during her pregnancy and didn't say anything, and I regret that. I wish I had tried to talk to her reasonablly about it, rather than stomping on her, chances are she wouldn't have listened but at least I would have tried. I will also tell you that after the baby was born she continued to smoke with him in the room and has almost lost her son to cps several times... its only a matter of time before it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I wouldnt go as far as cps. But i would talk to her for sure. Let her know of the harmful effects of what she is doing. Also you said she wasnt taking care of her other kids. I would talk to her about that. Let her know that children come first before anything. If the kids are in danger or anything close to that like they Dont eat or they run around in unchanged diapers then if you feel necessary call cps as an anonymous tip. Sorry to hear this. I am a young mother ans started out at 17 but i have always made sure my kids came before anything.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I know someone whose doctor told her that dealing with the stress of pregnancy was more harmful to the baby than the pot smoking, which I believe is a load of crap. Her son is autistic and epileptic, no one can say for sure if they're related or not, but even if I were a pot smoker, I sure as hell wouldn't be taking the chance of doing it during pregnancy. I would call CPS, as others have said...
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would turn her in.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, if I did I would have reported them.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would talk to her and offer support along with being non judgemntal and calm -- even though you may just want to knock her upside her head. I know of someone who smoked quite a bit during pregnancy and acted completely shocked when I told her that she was probably harming her child, she was defensive and tried to lie about it but amazingly enough she (seemed) to quit smoking soon after. unfortunately I couldn't do anything about her drinking.

If she doesn't do anything there probably isn't much that the authorities can do immediatley, short of post childbirth drug testing and them perhaps removal of the children from her home. I'm sure with a mother like that those kids are in for a screwed up childhood.
    atltrainer

Answer by atltrainer at 10:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, I Know that doctors suggest it for some hyperemesis.
    I wouldn't do it it but could see why they might.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was smoking once or twice a week before I knew I was pregnant. I quit as soon as I found out but I was already 6 weeks. I started seeing an OB first and told her everything and that I was concerned. She said that she saw no reason for much concern but that it was good that I quit just in case. She treated my pregnancy as high risk for the first trimester just to be on the safe side even though I told her that I wanted to have a holistic birth with a midwife. 1/2 through my second trimester she said that everything was going so well that she said if I wanted to go with a midwife she would fully support that decision. I'm 34 weeks with a baby in the 54th percentile size range, he is very active with a very steady heartbeat. His ultrasounds have all been right on target.

I have a close friend that smoked through her pregnancy (not every day, but occasionally when she was feeling crappy) who has a brilliant daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011