SO freakin pissed off!!!! Do I have a right to be mad??

So my uncle and his new wife were invited to dinner tonight. His wife has a 5 yr old son that is autistic named Joey. After dinner I was sitting on the couch with my TWO week old son cuddling him. Joey walks up and HITS my son in the face HARD! I look at Joey's mom and she just smiles sweetly at me like it was cute. Joey closes his hand into a fist and tries to hit my baby again. I grab his arm and push him back and stand up. He tries AGAIN and I tell him "NO!". Now his mom is pissed at me and the whole family is fighting!!!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 10:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• i'm sorry but your uncles new wife would have been his old wife if it would have been me. if you know what i mean
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Uh yeah you have the right to be mad. Her son is never going to get better if she continues to baby him like that. If they want to be ticked off at you, let them, that's ridiculous. I can't stand parents like that.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Dont care what the kid has. Smack him back
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• my youngest has autism but he has never tried to hurt anyone. My son has always been very gentle just he shies away from large crowds. Wow the parents are doing him no justice if they write everything off as autism. Just because they learn differently they still have to learn how to treat others. And hitting is not right, especially a baby.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I understand that her son has a disability but that she actually didn't do anything about it when he hit your baby is just ridiculous. She needs to teach her kid some discipline. You have every right to be pissed.
    cmabbott

Answer by cmabbott at 10:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• okay, as a mother of an autistic child, let me assure you, that the only way to stop a child from doing things like that is to disapline them. that mother should have yelled at him and smacked him on the bottom. My autistic child is 4, and always tries to get him to play toys with him, but when he was little, we made sure he knew that, you had to be careful with Brother because he was littlier than him. Now they're good friend and cole isn't even a year old. Now doctors say that you really have to watch atistic children around babies or smaller children, because they do tend to have violent streaks. I'd be just as pissed at the mother as she is to you, because your 2 week old is too defensless, to fight back. and as a 2 week old he's more easily hurt that a 2 month old would be, not that, it would be okay for a 2 month old either. I would definately be pissed, and give that.........woman, a piece of my mind.
    Kimikee101

Answer by Kimikee101 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Oh my gosh, I would have been livid. I hope your little one is okay!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Oh hell no!!! That is dangerous!!! I work with autistic kids all the time and even if they might not recognize the consequence of their action, it doesn't make it "cute" or permissible. They are special needs...that means they need SPECIAL ATTENTION. She needs to be taking special care to make sure things like that don't happen and that you don't just let him use his own judgment! Let her be pissed...I mean what is the alternative, you let the kid beat on your newborn because the mom thinks its "cute"...I mean really!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My son has autism and I'd never let him hurt a baby. If she did not protect your baby from this behavior then you had to step in to protect your child. Your family should see this. Children with autism sometimes have trouble controlling their behaviors, that's why as a mom she should have stepped in immediately and moved him to another place away from your baby.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I agree with the PP who said that the mother is doing him no favors by using autism as an excuse for bad behavior. He is capable of learning and if she doesn't realize that, she is selling her son short. Parents of special needs kids have a tough job, but if they want their kids to be able to be in social settings, they must be diligent in teaching them right from wrong. I worked for many years with children and adults with developmental issues (including autism), and believe me, you could tell which parents took the time to work with their kids! Yes, you had every right to correct that child and to be annoyed with the mother that she forced you to do her job!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2008