What kinds of meals do you make for your picky eaters? Mine are slowly trying new foods so that's encouraging, but for the most part they stick to the same stuff over and over. I want them to have more variety. Any suggestions?

travellingmom20

Asked by travellingmom20 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends a little on their ages, but i'd get them to help, Try making things you can make faces with etc.. like carrots for eyes asparagus for mouth etc.. Ask them for input in the store.. Say.. Lets make funny faces for dinner tonight what can we use? Ad different flavors or even pasta sauce to alot, dice things up ad them in to what they already like. When my son was 3,, he'd eat ANYTHING i called a crabby patty..lol I'd tell him to make a crabby patty and eat it, that meant grab one meat, a potato and a veggie all on his fork and eat, then we'd pretend race to see who could finish first.. Just be creative. Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I used to try to give him foods I know he likes with the occasional new thing thrown in, but that was not working. His range of acceptable foods was DECREASING!!! So I finally just put my foot down and started serving him whatever we eat. I make sure that there is at least one thing on his plate that I know he's eaten before, and then he can choose what or if he wants to eat. No pressure, no judgement. Like if we are having meatloaf, bread and salad, I'll serve a kind of bread he likes, and I'll make sure there are tomatoes in the salad (he doesn't like dressing). Many days, he'll just eats a few peices of tomato and drink his milk and be done. But sometimes he'll take a few bites of rice or a sandwich, and he has learned to like peas.. so I'm keeping this up.

Warning - the first few days were rough (tantrums, etc.) but he got used to the new way of things around day 4.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The best way I have found to get my kids to try new things, they are 6 and 4, is to make a big yummy bowl or plate for just myself and don't even offer it, lol. Like clockwork, one or both is asking for a bite and they almost always love it. This is an especially good ploy for my 4 year old, he now loves my homemade chicken and turkey soup, home made pork stir fry, potato leek soup, chicken fajitas, baked chicken, steak, etc... lol.

We also have great luck in the summer when we go to bbq's that have a big spread and they have lots of stuff to choose from and try. My son now loves pasta salad, and my daughter eats tomatoes like crazy. She is the better eater of the two, and will usually take at least one bite of something to try. GL! There is nothing worse than a picky eater!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh, I can think of a lot of things worse than a picky eater... lol. But I know what you mean. :) Thanks for the responses & ideas. I appreciate the help. They're getting better & I've tried most of the ideas mentioned here - some have worked, others haven't. They do like a few things that most kids don't eat, I'm just getting stumped on new ideas of recipes for them I guess. I usually make sure they have something they like on their plate b/c I can't stand to see them go hungry. However, recently, twice/week I make only the one meal - they either eat it or don't. It's up to them. Doesn't always work as both are very stubborn. If they don't want something they won't eat it no matter how I disguise it, serve it, etc. They don't care if they go hungry or not... lol. I'm sticking to my guns on that one though b/c it's only twice a week and only at dinnertime. It does work occassionally though. I'll eventually do it more often.
    travellingmom20

Comment by travellingmom20 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011