My cat

It looks like she is going into kidney failure. She has been peeing blood all weekend but doesn't seem to be in any pain. I am taking her to the vet today but I'm so upset. I talked to them on the phone and they agree that is what is sounds like and if it is, the kindest thing to do would be to put her down because it is gonna get very painful, very fast for her. I don't know how to handle this, I don't want her in paint but I'm 23 years old and I got this cat for my 8th birthday. She is such a good cat, she used to sleep with me every night, now she sleeps with my 4 year old dd, who won't go to bed without her. I know the life expectancy for a cat is like 12-16 years or something, so really, how much longer did I expect her to live? I just never thought she would go, I know it is stupid. Has anyone ever gone through this?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• My cats pee blood when they have bladder stones, and that's treatable, and you have to change their food. Get the cat to a vet.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes. The cat I got when I was 5 finally died when I was 21. It was a horrible thing to have to go through. HUGS to you.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We had it happen to a family pet. it was so sad. We ended up getting another animal a few months later because we just couldnt get over the feeling of loss that the poor kitty left behind.. we still miss him and remember him but the kids have a cuddle buddy once more and its not so hard. **hugs**
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes.....we got another kitten not long after she died. Some people say "no more cats, it hurt to much to put the other down"

I think that thought is selfish. So many cats need homes....and people should be happy that they were able to give their cat a good, happy, loving life. Had someone else adopted it, it could have ended up on the street or with an owner who doesn't really care for it. Celebrate her life she shared with you & be glad that you were able to give her a happy life. She is very grateful to have had you guys as owners. I'm sure she would ask that you take in another kitten so that you can give another cat a happy life as you did her.

everything dies, all we can do is enjoy it & love them to pieces while they are here.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm so sorry, Momma! I hope it's not that and is something simple that you can easily treat. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• This happened to my 7 year old cat. It was so hard and terrible. You know the cat lived a long and happy life. You have to let him go. But it is hard. We also had to put down my 14 year old cat. We still miss him. Wait a few months and then get a kitten. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's always hard to lose a pet that you love and have shared so much with. The differences between their lifespan and ours is painful when it comes time to say goodbye. But, let the vet check her completely because it may not be kidneys. Bladder stones are common as cats get older, and that really may be all that it is ~ and they are treatable.

If you do find out it's something worse, try and remember that she counts on you and has been loved and happy. Letting her go easily and without pain is a kindness. It's the last way that you can show her how much you love her. I'll be hoping for the best for you and her. As others have mentioned, a new kitten when you are ready does help, and it carries that love along.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had to put my cat to sleep almost 2 years ago and I still miss him terribly. Cats seem to develop kidney problems when they get older. I don't know what to say other than I am sorry this is happening-it is really an awful thing to go through.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The kitty I got for my 15th b-day had to be put down last year (I am 34). I"m sorry you are grieving, maybe the vets can tell you something easy is going on...
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yeah, cats can pee blood from UTI if they have bladder crystals. This is very treatable by diet. If not and it is kidney failure, then I'd trust the VET to decide if she is suffering. I have had to put down 2 cats and it's not easy, but why let them suffer. You can stay with it and comfort her, and they give them a shot first that just makes them go to sleep, then they give the injection that stops their heat. They feel no PAIN.
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 7:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011