Stuff to do in Mexico? - going on a cruise!

If any of you have been to Mexico I'd like some specific ideas of things to do when the cruise ship in in Port. Guides drive me CRAZY, my husband and I would rather go by ourselves. I can follow a map well, and I'm an experienced/avid hiker. We're going to Puerto Vallarto for one day and Cabo for 2 days. Thanks!

heatherhall88

Asked by heatherhall88 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Travel

• We did the 7 day cruise and it was so much fun! In Puerto we swam with dolphins. In Cabo we rode ATV's on the beach. Both activities will make lifetime happy memories. Also in Cabo we walked around the streets and did a lot of shopping. We also ate at Cabo Wabo. They have a ton of activities like snorkeling and parasailing you can do when you get off the ship.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If you go on the tours, you will only be allowed to go to the touristy spots ~ you will not be allowed to stray.

Hopefully, you have an excellent command of the language if you do decide to go out on your own.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well first of all let me tell you this Don't book any excoursons from the ship they are crazy EXPENSIVE. I have been on 10 cruises and they try to tell you that booking through them is the best way to go but it's a rip off you can find a local tour guide for 3/4 of the price the ship will charge you or go on your own.
    We went on a cruise last Oct and we went on our own and took a local's tour and it was fab they really take you off the tourist trap into the heart of their country and you see so much but if you don't want that go on your own just be careful and watch your surrounding if you go alone. I love the local tour guides its more relaxed and cost less as a matter of fact me and my husband are going on another cruis this year as well. just be extra careful since your going to be in mexico....have fun
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't stray but you dock at the touristy parts. You can barter with the people who are selling things or go on tours, maybe even snorkle. You are only there for a limited amount of time though.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2011