A 6-year-old stealing? What to do?

A lady I work with would like your opinions! She has a 6-year-old grand-daughter that "stole" a ring from her other grandmother's house over the weekend. When family members discovered it was gone, they asked everyone, including the little girl, if they had seen it -- she said NO. Then they prayed for it's safe return -- she still didn't admit taking it. It was 1.5 days later when the little girl finally said the ring "might" be in her room. The ring had been hidden in a stuffed animal. Her question is, what should they do about it? Should she be punished and if so, how? The same little girl took some money from her grandpa's wallet when she was 4 and then pulled it out for shopping when the family went to the mall.

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• It doesn't sound like she's been taught much about respect. When I caught my kids in lies the first time, we just sat down and talked about it. They should ask her; Why did she want the item? How did it make her feel? What does she think she should do differently next time? I warned my kids that the next time they were caught in a lie, they'd be in double the trouble if they'd just have told me the truth. Of course, as children, they crossed the line again by lying again. I was consistent and they were punished worse than if they had just told the truth.

Before your friends punish her, make sure she knew what their expectations were and what consequences will be.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would take her to the other family members home, and make her tell the truth and appalogise for her deed! Then I would have her tell the person she stole from that she will help them do some chores to make up for her misdeed! That is the best way to make her neer want to steal again!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I haven't personally dealt with this yet, but my sil has. 7 year old stole a handful of rings from his teenage sister's jewelry box and handed them out to his classmates. Teacher calls mom (my sil). Rings are all recovered and returned. Punishment - NO FRIENDS, no playing with friends, no phone calls, no computer time for one month. Month is almost over it's hard to know if this will work at this point. Good Luck to your friend.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• They really need to sit her down and have a long talk with her about lying and stealing. Explain to her about touching and taking things that do not belong to her and how it makes the other person feel that their ring had been taken. I do agree with JenzAmomof2 also. Maybe the police could scare a little.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• This may sound crazy to many but I'd call the non emergency number to the police and explain what happened and ask if i can bring her in to have a cop talk to her about stealing. My son is 5, one time he will be in trouble, after that, off to the police for a talking to. Thats just me!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2011