Should we help arm the rebels?

The Obama administration has not ruled out arming rebel fighters in Libya, the US officials said Tuesday, despite assertions by key US allies that such a move would be outside the UN mandate.

"We've not made that decision... but we've not ruled that out," Washington's UN ambassador Susan Rice told ABC television when asked about military support to the fighters battling Kadhafi's forces.

Her remarks echoed earlier US statements suggesting that UN Resolution 1973 allows for arming the rebels.

But Washington's stance is at odds with one held by British Defense Minister Liam Fox, who told the BBC at the weekend: "We are not arming the rebels, we are not planning to arm the rebels."

Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron agreed, telling parliament: "I think I am right in saying that the resolution is clear.... There is an arms embargo, and that arms embargo has to be enforced across Libya."

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It hasn't worked out so well in the past.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't even know....this is such a big debate among my friends right now. The more i get involved, the more confused my feelings are. It's a big mess IMO.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i've never believed we should arm anyone but ourselves. As SC said, not a very good ROI with that previous protocol. lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• NO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• NO KEEP OUT!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Sure..when he gets done there he can share our military assets with the Syrian rebels.

We need to back away from this mess and let them fight it out amongst themselves...this has been going on for more than a thousand years....there is no "side" for us to choose in this fight.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Awfully quiet in here....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, i don't think we should arm the rebels. I don't see that it's necessary as the current plan seems to be meeting the goal of preventing a general slaughter. Also, the rebels already are armed, it's not like they are throwing stones, they've got rocket launchers for crying out loud.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No arming of rebel groups We have a history of that sort of thing and that history has come back to bite us squarely in the ass
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have this odd flash back of the Iran-Contra weapons for, food or oil or whatever. No, don't arm anyone with our weapons. It never goes well.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1889.html

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011