Early marriage and education question

I don't intend for this to be rude, but I'm curious, especially after reading another question about marrying young.
If you married before you or your DH were, say, 21, did either of you go on to college and get a degree?
If so, what did you/he study?
If not, what do you/he do for work?

SusanTheWriter

Asked by SusanTheWriter at 10:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband and I got married when we were 19. He had been in college for 2 years, I had only been in 1 year. We had to drop out for financial reasons. (We were in love, yes, but we were not ready to be married, but with the coming baby, we were kinda forced to get married sooner than what WE wanted...looking back I really wish we had just waited.)

Anyway, when baby turned 1, hub left for basic training for the Air Force. He's been in since. We now have 4 children, and as soon as all of them are full time into school, I had plans on returning to college. Two more years :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was 21 and my hubby was 26. He already had his bachelors degree and I had 1 year left. I finished school the next year while pregnant with our first daughter. I graduated with my bachelors on May 15th and had our beautiful daughter on June 11th. It was a very busy year!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I married on my 19th bday. But he's 10 yrs older than I am. Yes I went to college but didn't finish because of some other things going on at the time. I was like 10 credits away from my associates. He's a printer and I worked with him for awhile, then moved on to secretarial/data entry.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was still 17 when I married my ex- exactly two months after finishing high school. Although I had my daughter a month shy of turning 19, I did get my degree. It just took a little bit longer than it would have otherwise. I actually have my degree in psychology, but ended up working in a completely different field. So I am about to head back to college to get a second degree in my work field- accounting.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was 20 when I got married, and I was in school full-time until I got pregnant and I "dropped out" because they didn't know when my due date was (there was a whole month when the baby could be due). I do have my AA, but I don't use it. My hubby said I could go back if I wanted to, but we plan on homeschooling, so there really isn't much point. For money we were both working at a grocery store (same chain, different locations), but I just quit so I could be a SAHM, so now he works full-time as a market manager. He has no college, and he wouldn't even go. If you ask him, college is just something people tell you you need so you spend more money there. I have to admit, I'm starting to think he's right. He's making more than double what I was making and I had been at the company a year longer than him and I had college. Doesn't make any sense huh?
    noahsmom13

Answer by noahsmom13 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We kind of got married? Under CO law, we're common law...it's really easy to end up married in this state lol. Anyways it happened because I got pregnant at 20. I graduate next spring with my bachelors and then will go for my masters after that. We are now getting divorced, he just started community college this semester, (I'm 23, he's 25)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I dropped out of college because he joined the military and my degree (law) was just too hard to get online and to keep transferring to a new college and having to take the same classes over or just make up for lost credits. I was NEVER going to get it. so i dropped out of college at 20.

He had a GED and never went to college and I don't think he ever will just because it isn't his style.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My parents were HS sweethearts & married right after HS graduation. Back then, you could find a job w/ a decent wage & benefits. As times changed, my dad went back to college as a "non-traditional" student & got his BA degree. My mom went after that, getting hers. Both continued working full time while going to school. Unless you can get grants or go deep into debt w/ student loans, then the service may be a way to go to get your education. It's a lot of hard work & sacrifice on everyone's part, but it can be done. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh, I'm not asking for myself. I was 24 when I married DH and already had 2 BAs. DH was 32 and had his BS from the USAFA, plus some post-grad work. He's retired USAF, now an engineer, and I'm a SAHM and writer.

I was just curious to see if there was a relationship between the two.
    SusanTheWriter

Comment by SusanTheWriter (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• BTW, my husband is TRYING to get a degree while working, but they've got him working his fingers off, its very hard. I think he's close to getting his Associates, though.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2011