To all the cloth diapering moms!!

what is the best way to wash if you have hard water? i mean the 100% BEST deterg./soap to use and what else and why? i have tried in the past-calgon and/or washing soda, and washed w/ pretty much everything, most recently lil outlaws, i still have stink issues w/my sons diapers and in general the washing sucks and doesnt work well for us. so i am wondering what is the single best way for ppl w/ hard water. i plan to get prefolds and covers for my daughter when she is born (my son is no longer in cloth.) so for prefolds/covers what's the best washing method? i am open to anything-lil outlaws, charlies, soap nuts, store bought deterg, idc. whatever is cheapest, easiest, and gets them cleanest!!! :) thanks for any answers!

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the cloth diapering group on here. There are a bunch of resources available there. You'll probably have to strip often to help get rid of the mineral deposits.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree with the pp, the cloth diapering group on here was so helpful when I was still diapering.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have very hard water. The only thing that has ever worked is Rockin green Hard Rock detergent. Check out their facebook page. if you post any washing problems you are having their customer service will help you out. I dont think the price is bad, around $12 a bag 45 loads for a top load machine/95 loads for HE machine.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i recently found that deterg. and want to try it but i heard it gives a lot of babies horrible rash?
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Rockin green detergent can be used as a detergent or as a hardwater/detergent buildup remover. When you use it to remove buildup you fill up your washer and use 2-3tbsp of detergent and let them soak overnight, it removes all the buildup so you have to rinse 3-4 times after doing this. Sometimes if your diapers have lots of hardwater buildup you might have to do this overnight soak 2 times to get them completely clean. Sometimes people dont rinse the diapers enough after doing this and then their baby gets a rash, the baby gets a rash because all the biuld up on their diapers was brought to the surface of the diaper but not completely rinsed out, if you make sure you rinse well then you wont have to worry about rashes. The rash isnt from the Rockin Green soap, it is from all the residue that wasnt rinsed properly. I "Like" their facebook page and watch it daily, they give soap away all the time. I have won 3 bags already
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011