How old is "too old" to go to university?

I'm thinking of applying for college later this year (after I straighten out multiple other things in my life). I'm leaning towards some sort of admin. assistant course, just to get me out of retail and into a more "grown up" job.

What I really want to do is go to university to become a counsellor - specifically in an abortion clinic, or something like that. I know this will probably take some high school upgrading and will be a much bigger venture than simply going to college. It'll be a long process and it could be a long time before I consider even applying for the university.

So I'm wondering... is there an age limit on university? I'm only 22, but at my age a lot of people are finishing their schooling and starting careers. I know a lot of older women who've gone to college... but is university different?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in

• I'm happy to say there is no age limit on bettering yourself! I've heard of people in their 70's and older getting their degrees. Both my parents went back to the University in our area when they were in their 40's. I started at the University w/ a 13 mos old son & one on the way, when I was 23 y/o. (I graduated w/ a BA 6 yrs later!) You can do it! Best of luck! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Guess I missed the memo because I went back at age 34. It's never too late.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go back at any age you want to learn and increase your knowledge. Never let age hold you back..Good luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Never. I had a guy in his 70s in one of my classes for a M.A.

In the USA, college and university are interchangeable. I have no idea if it is different in Canada though.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think it ever is too late. It wasn't too long ago that some woman went back at 90, to me that seemed a little late (really, how long are you going to be able to USE what you learn?) but if she can do that then no way is 22 too old. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think you are ever to old to learn something new. I just read an artical not to long ago(wish I could find) about a 90 year old one woman who had just graduated college.

PS I'm 23 will be 24 pretty soon and starting this fall.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• what is too old? dead an buried
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When you're dead, you're too old!
    I'm 31, and I'm starting at a university this fall. You're never too old to go back. My step-dad carried his grandson across the podium when he graduated. People go back at all ages. You'll be fine- you'll still be one of the younger people there! Many people take time off between high school and going back to get a college degree.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I went back to school when I was 24. A LOT of people in my classes are in their 40's. I have even met students in their 50's and 60's. It's NEVER too late to go back to school!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• In the US, 'college' and 'university' are used interchangeably. So there's no functional difference between going to college or to university. And no, it's never too late. I graduated with people in their 50s.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011