Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you call child services for neglect? Not abuse.

Woman has 3 kids at home. One 15 who has her boyfriend there daily. One 13. One 11. One boy is bi-polar. Both boys (13,11) run the streets. Are out after dark on main streets. Mother babysits outside the home and gets home around 6pm. Doesn't care if kids are running wild.

Would you report this or mind your business. I'm confused and torn over this.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • mind your business. they are old enough to watch themselves at that age - 13 an 15

    Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • Definitely leaning toward mind your own business on this one. I can see how you would be torn.

    Answer by meooma at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • If I suspected neglect, which it sounds like it might be, then yes.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • I am very concerned about the boys running wld after dark. I have a few parents around here that do this. I always tell my husband that I would rather have them play at our house so they aren't getting in trouble. I can be a tough situation. If she is babysitting other kids it make s me wonder what she is letting thise kids do. If the situation is really bad then yes Iwould. How can anyone let the mother watch their kids if she can't be responsible for her own??

    Answer by Clover484 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • They are still children. I would be most concerned over the younger ones running the streets, so maybe call CPS and ASK if you should report it.

    Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • From what you described, I don't think CPS would consider it "neglect".

    Here is more information that might help you:

    Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • Usually if you have a gut feeling that something is wrong, there is. Maybe the mom is overwhelmed or doesn't have anyone to watch her kids. Contrary to poular belief, cps does more than take kids away. They might be able to help her find a safer situation, unless there is true neglect going on. Either way, that is for cps to decide. You should call, you will probably help the situation more than hurt it. 11 and 12 year olds should not be running around after dark. It's not safe and you never know who could try to pick them up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • *13 sorry

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • Neglect IS abuse. But I don't see that as actual neglect...well, kind can always call anonymously and ask them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • By law her daighter can have her BF there, by law the boy are old enough to be out, so even if you do report it nothign will bw done! waste of time!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.