Quit biting MEEEEE!!!! adult content

Oh my gosh....within the last 12 hours, my 8 month old son has bitten me 3 times while nursing...he's CLAMPED DOWN.
What can I do to get him to quit. I've heard sometimes when babies aren't particularly hungry or at the end of the feeding they'll start biting down, but all the times he's done this it was his regular feeding time, so he was hungry with an empty belly.
It's extremely painful and I'm about to give up on breastfeeding. Nothing has deterred him so far...first time I yelled out, the other times, unlatched him and said no.
HELP MEEE...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Break the latch immediately (use your finger!), and discontinue the feeding. Firmly tell him "NO BITING" and put him on the floor, where he won't get attention for that behavior. He may cry and reach for you, but he needs to learn this is NOT okay. DS did that for a short time, but this method worked pretty well. Still happened occasionally, but I was consistent about this, and it didn't happen often. Keep on keeping on, mama! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Honestly, the very LAST time my middle son did that to me was when I let out a blood curdling scream- he caught me off guard. It scared him so badly that he never did it again.
    My younger son just took some patience, and consistency. if he bit, I told him NO and gave it a good long while until the next feeding.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree, the scream alone may work, too! I screamed out of shock (and pain), and it shocked him and made him cry.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I breastfed for 13 months and DS only did this when he first started to get teeth. I don't think he realized what he was doing. So I would just take him off,turn him around , wait a couple minutes and try again. If he did it again I did the same thing. It didn't take him long to figure out what was happening. Never happend again and he had all his teeth by a yr.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Biting ends a feeding. Make sure he's not getting solids before he's nursed (solids only come after) and watch for the end of active nursing. Then unlatch.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2011