How do you get your toddler to share?

My DD is almost 20 months and will not share... If we are playig and I pick up a toy that she was not playing with she is immeadiatly screaming for the toy I picked up. What do you do to encourage sharing. It was differnt with her brothers who are twins and were used to sharing everything.

dimpsedee34me

Asked by dimpsedee34me at 11:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would first try telling her that the other child had the toy first and therefore would be allowed to keep it. If she continues to scream, let her scream. If she hits or tries to take the toy from the child who has it, then she has disrespected your authority and disobeyed your instructions, and for that I would pop her on her bare leg or behind. Selfishness is understandable at her age and she has to learn the art of sharing, but disrespect and disobedience are never to be tolerated, and for that she should be disciplined.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Most kids don't start to get the idea of shareing until after age 2. Good news is there are things you can promote shareing. Playing with there toys with them. Say can I see that,when they give it to you play with it a few moments then give it back and tell the child thank you for shareing with me. I do this when I get offered a bite of something DS has or f I see him offer something to someone else. I always tell him that is very nice of you to share. When we have a play date at our house I have him get the other child a toy. Just keepp an eye out for your DD is shareing and use positive reenforcment to let her know she is doing something good. She will get the hang of it.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• lol i was gonna post, well mine are twins so they're learning from each other. they have no choice, they don't have two of every toy so. but you had twins so you totally get it haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I simply tell them "I am playing with this toy. You can play with another toy" and pretend that I'm playing with it. I did this with my son when he was younger. I played with a stack of blocks and he'd have a fit because I had then when he wanted them. I just did the same thing I'd do if this were another child he was interacting with. Just let him know that he needs to share and that he can play with it when I'm done. He eventually got the hint and went off playing. Or some days he'd have a fit and get sent to his room.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would expose them to more children. She will see them sharing and it may all happen more natrually. Perhaps teach sharing when your home...by maybe sharing something you have with her. Good luck.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 1:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• when you learn the secret let me know!! lol my 2 1/2 yr old and 8 yr old are constantly yelling. i will hear one of then say "THATS MINE!!" and my youngest will scream. they yell at each other all the time and i can't get my oldest to understand to just make the baby happy sometimes. (he LOVES to do things just to make him mad) and at the same time I dont want my oldest to feel like "He gets everything!" which i also hear all the time.
    We're working on it. :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011