Spin off question: Becoming a counsellor.

I really want to be a counsellor - specifically for girls/women and even more specifically in an abortion clinic, or something like that. It's a relatively new goal, but I really think this is something I would be good at.

So I'm wondering... what does it take to be a counsellor?

Is anyone here a counsellor of any kind?

What courses would I have had to take in high school? I took the bare minimum to graduate high school - I wasn't thinking of post-secondary at all. I'm willing to go upgrade high school courses if need be.

What kind of courses would I have to take in university?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends on the school and the requirements. I am a social work student and I am taking my first counseling class this semester. I will need to take more in the future. As a social worker, I will be able to do exactly what you're looking for with a bachelor's degree however more and more places prefer a masters. For clinical therapy which is more in depth than counseling, I will need to have a masters degree and an LCSW which is lisensed clinical social worker. Hope that helps a little!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• What it takes for me in one state in the US is different than someone in another state in the US and that is different than it would be for you in Canada.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh and to answer your high school question, like I said it will depend on the requirements of the school you want to enroll in, but the only thing I know of that they like that isn't a basic class in a language. If you haven't taken one in high school, its ok though but you will most likely need to take it in college. It's not a bad thing though, I know as a social worker/counselor you have more job opportunities if you can speak another language fluently.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Call Planned Parenthood

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I Had counseling classes for domestic abuse and drug and alcahol from family and emotional , Thought about it as a couselor but not at this time , always liked to be a fitness counselor best!
    FLOWERPOWERSHER

Answer by FLOWERPOWERSHER at 12:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011