Braces for 10 yr old

We were told that she may need braces to correct the fact that one side does not go down all the way. A space when she bites down) I do not really see a problem. And a fraid of what we may learn. (she already has glasses and ADHD, so hard to keep friends) Just bite the bullet and make the apt anyways? Oh and she only has medicade.

carisa

Asked by carisa at 11:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Health

• You're not a dentist or orthodontist. Make her an appointment and see what a professional thinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Id seek out another Dr's opinion on braces. Seems every kid today "needs" them and the Ortho's lay a guilt trip on you for not wanting to get them on the kids. Not all insurance covers braces ans they are just expensive. Plus all the adjustments and check up's needed for them. In my opinion it's just another way society is trying to tell you your not good enough because your teeth arnt 100% straight.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• A good orthodontist will tell you the difference between COSMETIC needs and other needs. Other needs are making room for all teeth to come in without having to pull anything, correcting a cross bite, over bite, or under bite, bringing teeth together. Those people that have bites that aren't correct can have massive digestion issues later in life because teeth are to match up correctly in order to chew food properly.

If you have more than one orthodontist in town, get opinions from them all. Getting a consult is FREE (and if it isn't - they aren't good orthodontists).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was told I needed braces because of a slight overlap in front. I said no. mom left it up to me she didn't see a prob and alabama medicaid doesn't cover it. When I had a root canal years later the new dentist filed off the overlap and my teeth look straight.

Also for the adhd....Please Please Please get a referral and get a sleep test for REM done. All us kids (3) were diagnosed with adhd and have found out that we don't have it at all. we don't hit REM and so are tired 100% of the time, which leads to add/adhd type symptoms.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• braces are, more often then not, a scam. there are some ppl who really do need them but most ppl who get them do not need them at all. my dentist convinced my mom that i needed braces for my top teeth, there was nothing wrong with them. i had them on for three months!!!! my teeth looked no different when they came off but the orthodontist made a pretty paycheck.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Sweety,
    I really don't know how to answer your question, but I will pray for your child & family, God WILL show you the way if you turn to Him.
    Love & Prayers To You & Yours
    wvblj1947
    wvblj

Answer by wvblj at 11:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011