How can I make my insurance company pay for breast reduction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Medically necessary. You will need to have atleast 2 opinions, usually a dr and chiro. You will probably be required to try exercise to lose weight, and physical therapy or chiropractic therapy. Just make sure that you do NOT hear the word elective from wither of the dr opinions that you go after. That will cancel out any of the work that you out into getting the reduction.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 7:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You cant MAKE them. You need a Dr t o say it is medically necessary for the insurance to pay for it, and even then your insurance may not cover the procedure. A medical need has to be proven like you have a bad back, bad disc's from big boobs.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My friend had her breast reduction paid for by insurance, however, its not that simple. She had chronic back pain and had to see a chiropractor then go through physical therapy 4x a week for i believe five months.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 11:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It is usually a process of you going through every other treatment option for you pain, and THEN, it will be considered. Never underestimate the power of being a very strong and annoying personal health advoate to your insurance company. They will deny as much as they can get away with.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's an elective surgery, they're not going to pay for it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree with the first comment.

Answer by older at 1:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Has to be a medical necessity. Check with your PCP.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It has to be deemed medically necessary. There are hoops that have to be jumped through but it is possible.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had breast redution i n 1989. It was not hard to have the insurance company pay. My back bothered me and thats all I had to say. It
    was not considered cosmetic surgery. But the two week recuperation period was tough. I just felt awful. Over the years I have gained
    weight and I swear they grew back! But it made me feel better and I never regretted. If I weren't 60 years old,I'd have it done again. Right
    now I have no insurance. Im trying to find a good individua policy. I got laid off in December. Does anyone know of a good one that
    is also affordable.
    chantilly688

Answer by chantilly688 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011