One of my 9 yo boys is going to be getting braces in the very near future... how old were you or your kids when they got their braces and how did it effect you or your kids?

dimpsedee34me

Asked by dimpsedee34me at 11:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had them from second grade through seventh grade, with about 6 months off in fourth grade. They didn't effect me.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter was 12 when she got hers. She is 14 now and still has them on. Why? Because she won't wear the dang rubberbands like they told her, so her teeth can move where they need to be. Ugh...I'm so frustrated! She seems to think she looks cute with braces. Boy oh boy, when I was her age - it was not "cool" to wear braces.
    smiles551

Answer by smiles551 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I got mine on in 4th grade, 9-10 years old & wore them till my Sr. year... Don't ask, My orthodontist was putting his kid through medical or law school on my mouth haha
    My DD got hers at 11 yrs old, 6th grade and got them off about a year ago, 14 years old.. She wore them like a champ and has a beautiful smile now :) There is no major effects...So many have them.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Both of my boys got there braces on around 9 or 10. They wore them for about 18 months, with no issues. My oldest got his put back on around 12 or 13 and he has been out of them since 7th grade.
    My youngest will be 13 and is getting his second phase started in a week and he'll wear braces again for another 18 months and should be off during the middle of his 8th grade year.
    Neither of them had issues, just have to make sure they are brushing regularly and keeping up on flossing etc. Most kids where we live have them on before or by the age of 12.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son got braces on his upper teeth when he was 9 (he's 10 now). His teeth have improved remarkably. It's still a work in progress but the braces are doing their job. He had an overbite, a tooth that was completely out of line with the others (it was pushed back for some reason), gapping, etc. I'm concerned his bottom teeth will need braces in the near future as well. My son was nervous about getting braces but he's really not had any major problems with them so doesn't mind them now. A few brackets fell off and had to be replaced, but other than that, not much pain or anything. He says they're uncomfortable sometimes and when he goes in to get them checked he says his mouth is sore afterwards, but that's just the braces doing what they do. Best wishes.
    mommyredrose23

Answer by mommyredrose23 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son got braces at 9 too. He got them off at twelve. It was expensive, and orthodontist appointments were a drag, but they weren't bad. He did have a little angst about needing braces when his twin sister didn't but he got over it, and they were never too painful.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• thanks for all your insight... I never had to have braces so I am at a loss but we met with the ortho today and the plan in partial top braces with he ger to help align his bite. My son is actually looking forward to finally getting them on wich mkes me think he's either getting teased t school or he is just self conscious of his crooked smile.
    dimpsedee34me

Comment by dimpsedee34me (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011