Family game night?

My kids are grown but still live at home. (18 and 21) We have always been a game playing family. Last night was Phase 10. Last week was Scatagories and Cranium WOW. Their friends walk in and ask "What game are we playing tonight?" They seem to love it. I get the feeling a lot of families don't do this. Do you? What games do you play? I'd love to try something new. Any suggestion?

knappkin

Asked by knappkin at 11:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I cant wait for DS to grow up so we can play games on Game Night. My Brother and SIL will come over occasionally ( 1 x every 2 months ) for Game Night ! :)
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 11:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We love Catch Phrase and Yahtzee. We try to play Risk but my husband gets too angry if anybody invades his countries so we stay away from that one.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Over the weekend, my kids and my mom pulled out a whole stack of games and played for hours! Jenga, Clue, Stratego and a few card games. We play Risk, Sorry and Boggle and they're finally getting to be good at Scrabble.

But yeah, sometimes I get the feeling that we're kind of an oddity when we do that.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We don't. It would never work. My husband would never participate for one. If I forced him he would pout worse than the kids and be mean to everyone for making him do something he didn't want to do (we've tried in the past and he would only play the game if the TV was on something he wanted to watch and we were quiet so he could hear it). Then I have 4 kids that are at different levels of needing help with a game and they all throw tantrums if they aren't winning.
    Games in our house are stressful and result in at least 1 child crying, screaming and running to their room in a fit. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is NOT fun in any sense of the term. Not to mention I have to purposefully lose every game I play because if any of them are losing they are pissed (including my husband) and then they whine and throw fits and make everyone else miserable. I've thrown every game I've played with my husband for the last 10 years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• we have a shoebox full of games - phase 10, boggle, rook, and decks and decks of cards. we have yatzhee, too. we're still newlyweds, so all of our friends are either unmarried or newlyweds, too. we have the whole bunch come over almost weekly to have a game night. when dd and our future children get older, we'll continue to play games. i did with my family growing up.
    dh and i haven't had much luck with board games - we tried playing monopoly with his son and it just ended in arguments lol. so we'll stick with card games
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ours are 6 and 7 and we've recently bought Blokus. All four of us enjoy that game.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies for the answers. My DH doesn't play very often either but the kids and I still play. My kids are older so I don't have to let them win, but then, I never did. An occasional game does end in a fight so I don't play when they choose Monopoly or Risk. Last night was a couple different card games "tonk" and "screw your neighbor". Obviously not something for little ones. But my son and I still play battleship etc. when it's just us. It's a great time to talk about what's going on in their lives.
    knappkin

Comment by knappkin (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011