What to do???

I recently found out that my husband has been experimenting with different tastes for our baby.... Our son is 2 weeks old and my husband dips his finger into different things and gives it to our baby... Like grape juice, mac and cheese sauce, gravy, potatoes.... Is that ok? It makes me nervous. I don't want his tummy to get upset. I was upset when I found out cuz he had been hiding from me..

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 10:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my opinion, that is NOT okay. Your baby's digestive system isn't ready for anything but breastmilk yet. By introducing all these things, he is setting your baby up for possible food allergies. I would try to do some research real quick about how a baby's digestive system matures and how to avoid/prevent food alleriges in babies, and then present it to him.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• we use 2 do that...we started ceral at 2 wks docs. orders...and baby food at 3 months...as long as it isnt big should be ok
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• its fine. its also entertaining to watch the reactions on their faces.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 10:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I agree with it NOT being okay. A lot if kids have food allergies because they are given foods to early. The digestive system is not ready in the beginning..better safe than sorry.. Read this :
    http://www.superbabyfood.com/chapsoli.htm
    KiaiMomma

Answer by KiaiMomma at 11:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• well just have him be careful just in case your baby has a allergic reaction to something that could be dangerous....good luck

Anonymous

• No MArlye! It's not okay. Breastmilk only for AT LEAST 6 months. Kick his booty and tell his he is hurting your son. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html show him this!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• NOT OK honey ... his tummy is not ready for anything but mama's milk.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• lol my hubby did it too i was very upset..he always dipped his finger into arbys melted cheese and gave her a little taste..I think it is fine really our daughter is absolutely fine..I mean dont over do it but a little taste wont hurt..
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• by the way their not supposed to only be on formula or breastmilk till 6 months..My doc said to give them stage one baby food at 4 months and then stage 2 at 5 months
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Two weeks is pretty young, there's really no point in having baby try different flavors at this point, as his taste buds aren't very sophisticated. Nonr of it is going to be good for him, either, so why bother?

As for when to start on different foods, determine that with your pediatrician. Just as babies learn how to roll over and walk at differenttimes, they're ready for foods at different times!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2008