Anybody else keep eating when they know they are full?

I feel full yet hungry all at once. I keep going back for more and more food. I just worked my butt off to lose 12 pounds and in less than a week gained it back from my terrible habits. I just always feel hungry and even when I'm full I eat. What is wrong?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No, I have never had that probem. I get that full feeling easily and quit before I am actually full. My college roomates had your problem, they couldn't believe that I would only eat ONE cookie or a small helping of spaghetti and skip the garlic bread. Then we started running on campus after supper and they ran out of breath after a half a block while I kept going. They learned to eat less while living with me. They lost weight.
    Losing weight is a matter of PORTION CONTOL and self-control.If your tummy growls, think of it as a good sign and drink a glass of water or ice tea and remind yourself you are trying to get healthy!
    Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• you just need to stop. it's not real hunger. take your 2 hands and ball them together like a fist. that is the size of your stomach, it's not very big at all. also you need to be drinking lots more water, thirst can be confused for hunger and being fully hydrated will help you feel full. drink a full glass of water every 2 hours and there is no need to drink anything else
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I understand what you're going through... I do it too.... I am addicted to food, the hard part is that I now this but still continue to eat.
    i try to preoccupy myself to keep my mind busy so that i thik of something other than food, but at night its the worst.
    Good luck with your struggles and know that you are not alone
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You're just going to have to develop some self-control. I fix my food, eat it, then immediately go upstairs and brush my teeth and rinse with minty mouthwash. It signals to me that eating time is over, my teeth are clean, and there's no more eating til the next meal. You might try that, and maybe chew a piece of minty gum or suck on a mint if you just need something in your mouth. Over time, you can learn the art of using your will and strength to stop doing things that you know you don't want to do.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• GOOD advice vicesix!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There is an actual reason why your body still eats when your full! When you start eating healthy and your body is not getting what it is use to, the extra sugar, salt, fat then your body releases the chemicals to your brain to eat more. Then you get the adorphines released that come from the extra sugar etc..so really you are addicted to the sugar, salt etc... It only takes a week or two and then you will balance out. You can try these tips to help you out. Be sure to eat a big healthy breakfast, Divide the calories throughout the day (if you only eat a couple hundred calories early your body will crave them more later since it thinks you are starving it. If you are craving sweets eat a small handful of nuts. If you are craving salty eat a piece of fruit. A cup of hot tea really does help curb your appetite, try not adding sugar. Chew gum while cooking and grocery shopping. Good luck, you can do it!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• agreed with amylynn. Stay strong!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• How fast are you eating? It takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the signal that you're full. Take one portion, eat it slowly, and let that sit for awhile. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water. The RDA for women is actually 11 cups a day (including water you get from food). Your stomach growls when it wants water, and many if us mistake thirst for hunger. Try upping your water intake. I've dealt with this same issue for years, and it's taken A LOT of work to get through it to lose weight. I still struggle, and I know I will for awhile, because it's 30 years of a habit I'm trying to undo. I agree that eating healthy foods takes some transition time. The fullness feels different-you're not so full you could burst, or that you need a nap; it's actually energizing. Give yourself some time, and work on portion control and measuring your food. Consider whether more food now is worth heart disease later.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm the same way. I'm glad I found this question so I can read what others have to say.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• 2 things I struggle with are portion control and self control. I need to get my butt in gear this spring and work on these things!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011