MIL wants to join my facebook and I don't want to- adult content

DH and I decided a while back to make him a facebook page and let him be the family contact.

I only have certain family members on mine because a while back I put my SIL on myspace and it was such a mistake! she'd read my blogs, which were more short stories than anything and would start threats because she was CERTAIN I was writing about her.
After that, I had to post my blogs to be read only by certain people, leaving her off the list. It was such a nightmare.

Now my MIL has sent me a friend request on facebook and I just don't want to go there.

not really sure what to do about it, not so sure if I should tell her that I don't put family members on there, or what.
thinking it through.

I'm a writer and I don't think I want my MIL to see things like 'working on a steamy love scene' on my facebook.
that and long story short, I use a pen name and a lot of my family has never even read my stuff because I don't want the hassle of having to tell them 'no, the terrible B in the story wasn't you'
That and I post things on facebook where I'm ok if friends read it, but would prefer if MIL didn't see it directly. nothing terribly personal, but most don't care if I post that DH is getting on my nerves, if she sees it then she wants to know what's up.

anyone else have this problem?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• I had my MIL and SIL on my facebook and it was ok for about a month then after my MIL had one of her "I hate you " episodes and deleted me i refused to add her back but SIL insisted on reporting anything and everything i said to MIL it was a nightmare so i know where you are coming from save yourself the headache and heartache don't add her
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 11:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You DO know you can control WHO on your friends list's see your post's and or comment's dont you? Friend her then change the setting's so SHE dosnt see what you post on other people's pages and so she cant see your comments on your friends stuff.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• OMG I would HATE that! My MIL already has her nose too far up my business....I hate to tell people to lie but I would just ignore the friend request and if she ever asked me directly about it I would tell her that I'm never on there....GL mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have mine on but have it set to where she can only see some things like the kids pictures.. they have that nice little option of "everyone except" that i use like crazy!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Block her from your personal account and just tell her that you don't use it or that you deleted it.

If she has access to the "family" account that's really all she needs.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would go ahead and friend her and restrict what she can see. But then, I also don't put anything about my hobby writing (I write fanfic) on Facebook. That ONLY goes on LiveJournal, where I also use an alias.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• so don't accept her. no is a complete sentence. just deny the request, and don't say anything. if you want, you can do as the pp's suggested and limit her access to your page.
    if your mil is one of those sneaky, spying types, then the only reason she wants to add you is to stick her nose in your business and cause drama. don't add her if that's the case. save yourself a ton of headaches. i ended up having to block my mil completely from mine, because she was bat-shit crazy.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 12:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If you don't want her on there, then you don't have to put her on. If you want, though, you could do the security settings where she can only see SOME of the things you're posting, like pics of the kids or whatever.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would have no trouble declining her request. If she interested and wanting to see the kids' pics just put them on hubs'.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Just ignore the request, I don't have any of my my husband's immediate family as "friends" because that is not what they are. Now, give me a social networking site that has a "meddling, conniving, manipulating beggars" category and I'll happily add them there.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011