What do you do for a child that climbs everything?

a question from my Japan bound mama lol

spitfire06

Asked by spitfire06 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to watch them like a hawk!!! It's a stage they grow out of, sooner or later.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't know if they ever grow out of it. I never did. You just have to teach them to be careful and that if they fall and get hurt it's no one's fault but their own. I learned real quick when I was too high or if something wasn't stable enough to climb. Other than that let them get the exercise!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yup, you gotta watch them like a hawk and make sure anything that they could use as a stepping stone or a boost up needs to be put up and/or out of reach. My DS has discovered that he can push the chairs around to where he wants to climb, so I flip the chairs on top of the table that way he can't get to them. He makes it where I got to think on my toes, gotta stay one step in head of him. LOL. GL
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh and like meanderphoto said, some don't ever grow out of it either. I was an example too, just moved on to bigger objects to climb, like trees. I was climbing trees well into middle school.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree- just watch them. Keep plucking them off whatever they are climbing and putting them back on the floor. That's all I got. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Make sure you have a good insurance policy. ;)

Kids will be kids. I would set up certain places they're allowed to climb and put some off limits. We sometimes make obstacle courses in our living room that they can climb all over. It's great fun for them and we make sure there are plenty of pillows and blankets for them to fall on. My 19 month old daughter knows not to climb the bookshelf but will climb all over the couch and chair and jump back and forth.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011