I cant find her puppies? Help!

My son has a dog and mostly she has always been with me. A couple months ago he moved in with his gf and she and he had the dog there in the gfs (losing that term losely) house. Yesterday I was doing dinner dishes and heard a dog yelping. It was my sons dog, he had brought her back & not told me. He and gf broke up. I called my oldest dd & told her to have him call me. I woke this morning, dog was gone. I ASSUMED ds came for his dog.

I leave for groceries, come home & said dog is waiting for me, happy, wagging her tail, while I have a serious wtf moment? I look and she has sagging boobies, milk leaking etc. We knew she was pregnant but she was not this way last night. I have looked EVERYWHERE. We have several acres, a barn, I went to neighbors, told my landlord, and I cannot find the puppies! I need ideas.

PS the only other thing we can think is the gf kept the pups and lied. We are having animal control there as we speak to check.

Asked by gemgem at 12:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Take her to the vet. Just the difference in the teats doesn't mean she has had the puppies yet. Is the belly gone? I would take her to the vet and have them check to see if she's still pregnant. If gf has the puppies I would be furious. She probably wants to make a quick buck off them now that she's no longer with ds. Keep looking for them in the mean time. Walk around the property and just listen. You should start hearing little puppy squeaks and whines if they're still around. Is it warm where you live? If not, you need to find them before nightfall or the puppies will be gone. They can't regulate their body temperature yet and will easily freeze to death. Same if gf has them. She probably has no clue what she's doing and if animal control isn't quick enough, they may be gone. :( It's a hard situation and I really hope you find the pups in time. GL mama!
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow that's crazy. Horrible situation. If the puppies can't be "found" I would keep looking... ):
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• maybe something was wrong with them and she ate them..how many were you expecting? i've heard of dogs doing that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• let the momma go and follow her. she will know where the puppies are
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I did let her go and she just ran all over and didnt lead me anywhere. I dont know how many she was expecting, but not many. She never got really huge.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We think she is trying to keep them to make money unfortunately. Her belly is gone so that was one hint this morning on top of the milk. Good idea Ill call the vet and see if we can get squeezed in. I have my landlords guys looking right now. Thank GOD my landlord is a real pet person, he has around 12 workers who work the farm and they are out there (I can see them) searching the property with my son.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011