Really debating on what car seat to get.

Ok, I have a dilemma and would love some input/opinions. My daughter is a year old and we need to get another car seat. I almost had my mind made up on the Graco My Ride 65 then saw the Graco Nautilis; I love how this converts to the booster and would save me lots of money in the long run. BUT it is not rear facing! Is it really that bad to start forward facing my child now??

cj93082

Asked by cj93082 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think a 1 yo forward is just fine, go for it :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I forward faced earlier then that since my Son would freak out & puke when he was rear facing. I think it is just fine too. Go with the seat that you can use the longest. I have a Britax Marathon & it goes up to 65 lbs. and I really like it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My kids went forward at a year because they were huge! But, the longer you can do the rear thing, the better. By the way, high back boosters or regular boosters are pretty inexpensive, so keep that in mind when you are figuring out your savings. Big Lots will have one on sale every now and then in the 30-40 dollar range.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Britax and chicco make great car seats
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We have a Graco My RIde 65. Right now in my state it's not the law to rear face until 2, but the are highly recommending to all of the parents now.  The Graco My Ride 65 can be used as a 5 point harness for up to 65 lbs. 

MrsAMleibo

Answer by MrsAMleibo at 1:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go for the convertible. A dedicated booster, when the time comes, won't be that much. I've also heard lots of complaints on the Nauti making a poor booster, so you might need a booster later, regardless.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It will not save you LOTS of money, if you use it as a booster, it will save you a few bucks, if it fits well as a booster for your child.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would NOT forward face a 1 year old and truthfully you won't be saving yourself any money by buying a nautilus... the nautilus doesn't make a good booster for most children and you would need to but another booster for her anyway when that time came.
    I would keep her safe as long as possible and get her the MyRide and RF to the max of that seat... then FF until she outgrows the harness... at that time she will be ready for a booster.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• A child needs to stay rear facing as long as possible. If you question when to have your child front facing then you need to speak with your Dr.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 7:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would definitely not forward face your little one at a year old. The new recommendations, which are just that, state that you should rear face to at least 2 years and 30lbs or until the maximum of your childs car seat. Depending on your budget there are many different seats that you could consider to keep your DD rear facing longer. Have you considered posting in the car seat safety group? There are very knowledgeable ladies there that can give you some great recommendations within your budget. Best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011