Where to get homeschooling books?

My daughter is currently in Kindergarten and is really struggling in certain areas of reading and was wondering where all you homeschooling mamas get your homeschooling books from. We are hoping that doing some homeschooling over the summer will get her to where she needs to be for 1st grade, instead of repeating kindergarten.

MrsAMleibo

Asked by MrsAMleibo at 12:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• http://www.aophomeschooling.com/switched-on-schoolhouse/overview.php
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go to your state's website to find out what grade standard is, and simply focus on those areas (you can buy workbooks, or print work sheets off of the internet). You should be focusing on Phonics, rather than see say.

BTW- they may not allow retesting if she flunks k-5. Not all states do. If she isn't meeting the mark, it might be best for her to repeat. Better now than later, the world will not end.

Based off of your post, I highly advise against pulling her out of school though.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh no we won't be pulling her out of school. She is still attending, even with as heart broken as she was this morning. But we thought that just working more with her this summer may get her to where she needs to be. Right now as it sits, the teacher is leaving the decision up to us and if their is no way for a Title 1 teacher to see where she is at the beginning of next year then she will do a repeat. Just don't want her to go all summer when we could be working with her. Thank you LOvingMy3Girls.
    MrsAMleibo

Comment by MrsAMleibo (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Timberdoodle.com has some really good things for homeschoolers and easy to navigate website. Things I used before Kindergarden with my now 1st grader and things I am using now with my almost Kindergardener (who is not that interested in reading) I get lots of books at the Library and let him pick them out--I show him sometimes books that are topics he likes such as Spider man or star wars, Frog and Toad books. We read the book sentence by sentence and he repeats each sentence after I read it as I point to the word. Even though he is not "reading" the words, he is gaining sight-word recognition. To focus on the phonics we watch Leapfrog Letter Factory and read the Bob books Level by level, he is just starting Level 2. Usborne books has a great reading system although pricey for kids learning to read. What a great mom you are to look for a way to catch her up for next year. I'm sure she will get it with such a great coach
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Her classroom reading performance suggests that early intervention is needed for her (and should already have been noticed and given to her this year). What special interventions were given to her this year? Has she been evaluated for Special Education? You can request this if she hasn't.

Flash cards with letters and sounds are good too. Pictures with whole words on flashcards.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• She works with a Title 1 teacher one on one twice a week and every day with a small group of kids. She is able to read very well, the problem that we are running into right now is that the class is working on pulling thoughts out of the head about the books that they are reading and she has a hard time wrapping her head about what she wants to say about what is going on in the books. What is going to happen next and how the title of the books ties into the story.
    MrsAMleibo

Comment by MrsAMleibo (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That's great that they are helping her! She is doing well to be reading too! Some concepts are just harder for some than others. It can have a lot to do with their learning style. You can get little workbooks that have children place things in order of sequence. She can write letters to relatives about what she did on spring break in sequential order and then give the letter a title that is relevant to the information--coach her with several suggestions if she can't think of one on her own. Like " I love Grandma" or "my spring break" or "I like the beach" and ask which title is most appropriate to the content of the letter. She can do the same with little stories she makes up. You can use very simple board books with ultar simple story lines and ask what was the book about etc. She really is doing well for Kindergarden! Writing her own stories/letters to friends or relatives will help--perfection is not the goal :)
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ah, reading comprehension problems! Kids that young sometimes have a hard time since it is a fairly abstract concept.

Read to her, discuss the story from beginning to end. Then have her read it, and explain what is happening. That will help her form those concepts and connections.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I bought a ton of workbooks for my daughter at dollar tree.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011