Can all my stress be affecting my baby?

I am trying to get into a new apartment as soon as possible, but i keep running into problems at every turn. I am trying to deal with leaving my two nephews, 2 and 3, who i have lived with since the day they were born, (and the three year old is really stressing too about his nana leaving him), and i am trying to help my sister try and get her living situation under control. I dont have parents involved in my life because of problems of their own, and my finacial situation isnt the greatest. There are days i feel so stressed that i cant even get out of bed. I have struggled with depression for a large part of my life, but am off of all medications through out my pregnancy, but i am really getting concerned that the stress i feel could be affecting my growing baby. What should i do???

my_bby_rowyn

Asked by my_bby_rowyn at 12:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it can affect your baby in many different ways. The only thing you can do is to try to reduce and/or avoid the things that are causing you stress.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Do keep working on those things you can control. For those things you cannot control, be realistic about it and move to the next thing. I find that some artistic (even if silly) project can help you escape the nagging thoughts (like needlepoint or even coloring in a coloring book)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Hug
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 12:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There are some studies that show that the increase in cortisol levels (a hormone that is released during periods of stress), can actually, biologically effect the unborn child. But, many, many, many women are under tremendous amounts of stress while pregnant, and the babies end up fine. I think the main problem occurs with an out-of-the-ordinary stress like violent crime or wartime trauma.
    So, try to just take care of yourself the best you can. Try some deep breathing, meditation, walking, eating healthy . . theses will all increase your seratonin levels and lower your cortisol. Being that you were on meds for depression, you could probably use a seratonin boost. There are also foods, like bananas, that will help on the seratonin front, as well.
    I am sure that your baby will be fine . . . :)
    I hope things settle for you soon mama!
    Hugs
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Stree can mess the baby. I had a lot of stress when i was pregnantand my boy came out fine. Just try and relax as much as possible. If need help looking for a place go to craigslist.com under housing/apt and you might find something affordable there. Good luck mom and stay stree free as much as possible
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When you feel yourself getting stressed,take a few mintutes for yourself and relax:)
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Most definitely, stress is a no deal when pregnant relax some,no more stressing!
    Mommylovesu2011

Answer by Mommylovesu2011 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes it can
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011