Welp that's it he can no longer be contained...

DS has been able to open doors since he was about 14 months old. He has been able to unlock them since around 16 months. So we have had our issues keeping him out of rooms and inside the house. As soon as he hears someone knock on the door he will go open it. He lets the dog outside and other things.

Along with doors we have had our issues with anything that is suppose to baby proof includeing baby gates. He can open the latch ones and the ones with the arm across the middle. So we bought one at Target that is solid across the middle but you can see through it. So he can't climb it. It also has a peice on the top you have to slide across and pull up at the sametime to open. he can't undo this one so we have been able to keep him blocked in places. It's been a miricle worker at nap time.

Well it's nap time now and he got out. You wanna know how? He pushed until the bottow came loose and the whole baby gate flips up like the trunk of a car. I'm out here folding laundry and he comes running saying "ha ha I see you!"

I couldn't help but laugh when I seen how he got out. Guess he showed us to spend 30 bucks on a baby gate, LOL.

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Get small locks for the tops of your doors. Home Depot has several styles and they are easy to install
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Holy Cow Mom! My Son could probably have done all those things at that age as well but I put the fear of God in him everytime he attempted something like that. I simply would raise my voice (never hit him) and scare him into listening. These can be very dangerous issues especially opening outside doors. I would freak & stop the behavior now. God forbid it happens when you are busy with something or have many people over visiting and he wanders ouside, you never know what could happen. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yeah I know! i have put him in time out, I raised my voice I've even exsplained to him he can get "hurt". But he's just determand. We have a fenced in yard and our gate is really, really hard to push open so I don't think he could get into much when he got out there. I've been working on it but he's just one of those kids that has to figure out how EVERYTHING works. He thinks he's helping when he lets the dog out and opens the door for people. I've been trying to teach him to let Mommy do it and we are getting there.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You could say something like this to him "Don't open the door until Mommy & Daddy comes or you'll let in those mosquito bugs that bite or you may let a bat in the house." We don't want to make our kids paranoid but whatever works to keep them safe. You could also get those door alarms that work on batteries that when the door is opened an alarm sounds. My Son moved into his big boy bed recently & he has slider windows in his room (second floor) so my DH drilled in long screws into the upper inside track so the windows can only be opened a couple of inches for fresh air but in case of emergency an adult can pull out the screw. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011