9 year old boys and shoes

How hard are your boys on shoes? Oh, and what size are they wearing?

My son is so freaking hard on his shoes. We bought him a pair last month and within 2 weeks he had already torn off the decorative stuff on the bottom (in between the treads) and after a month had ripped a hole in the side of shoe so his toes poked out.

I had to pick up a new pair of him when we were out the other day but they didn't have his size at Target so I went up a 1/2 size. He put them on today and their a little big but fit.

He now wears a size 6. That's a size 8 in women's shoes (1 size smaller than I wear). I estimate these shoes last about a month and a half before he has them destroyed. Luckily I only paid $10 for them (on clearance).

He's just as bad with his pants. I just bought him 3 or 4 new pair at Goodwill (for $5 each) and he's torn the knees out of most of them already. Takes him about a month. I refuse to buy full price pants for him any more.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• DS isn't too bad on his shoes unless I buy the really cheap ones. Those barely last a month, so it's worth it to buy better shoes -- on sale, of course!

For jeans, he always blows out the right knee. Just that one! I have no idea why. But by the time the knee is gone, he's also gotten too tall, so I don't fuss too much about it.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 12:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son is fairly easy on his shoes. He's 11 and wears a 7 mens shoe, but he's growing so fast I don't buy him very expensive shoes - although when he stops growing I have definitely found that name brand shoes (Nike, etc.) wear better and last longer than the less expensive ones.
    He has never worn through the knee on his pants, but I still don't pay full price!

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My boys are hard on shoes and pants. I buy what I can in the thrift shops, then Walmart. They are growing out of them before they wear them out so I don't spend too much money.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I buy clothes slightly big so he doesn't outgrow them right away. He wears a size 12 in jeans right now and they are only a little long (just touching the floor when he has shoes on) but are huge in the waist. I had to get him some belts because not all of those have adjustable waists in them. He's going to have a ton of cut offs for the summer, though, lol.
    I really don't want to waste my money on name brand shoes. I know him and he'd still destroy them and then we're out $40-$50. We can't afford that with 5 kids. Then he's also outgrowing them left and right.
    My girls aren't quite as hard on them. My oldest can wear the same shoes all year. My 8yo dd wears hers out but not as fast or as thoroughly as my son. She does destroy her pants, though. Not sure what she does at school or at friends' houses but all her jeans have holes in them. It just takes her longer than my son who can rip them out in a couple weeks.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My boys are hell on shoes. My youngest is 12 and wears a 9 1/2, within a matter of 2 - 3 weeks with a new pair of shoes they are nearly destroyed, I have no idea how this happens (okay well I do - he is just really active)...I bought him a special pair for Christmas that he designed himself online, amazingly those haven't fallen apart just yet. I try to buy cheaper shoes to save on money every 2 - 3 months.
    My older son was the same but now that his in HS I don't have this issue, he can keep his shoes for a long time without ruining them.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have twin 9yo boys one is in size 5 the other is in a mens size 7 they are both pretty hard on shoes so we have it to where we buy them a new pair of shoes about twice year and their old shoes become their play shoes and the new ones become their school shoes.... it's helped to lenghten the life span of the shoes
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My boys are very hard on shoes too. I ask my oldest why.... He told me its becouse he plays ball every day.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We tried the separate school shoes last time but he plays so hard at school (they have 3 recesses every day plus gym twice a week) that he wears them out anyway. Plus he gets home and is right back out the door to play.
    Plus, it never fails, by the time we realize he needs new shoes his old ones are so bad he can't even save them for play shoes because there are holes in the bottoms and his toes are peaking through.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2011