Should I go to the high school Principal?

My son in high school is having a problem. We thought it was his upcoming surgery for a knee accident but now that the surgery is done he spoke with me about 3am. He said it was the surgery but most importantly, it was his chemistry teacher. She hates him. He said that when he comes up with answers she always ask if he's cheating. When he was the only one in the class to understand a problem and other students came to him, she yelled out in front of everyone, "Are you getting answers from others" and says his name. He says on her tests he freaks out, my thinking that this is why she feels he's cheating. Last week, before I realized all this, the teacher told me that my son is failing. It's an Honor's class. He started with an F but she convinced me to keep him in. His semester grade was a D. He now has a tutor outside of class and really understands what he's doing and now he has another F. She told me he was in a group project and they all got 10 points but he got 8...he was shocked to hear this when I told him (he was not there at the open house-I got there late, he took bus home, his phone died). When I asked why he got an 8, she shrugged her shoulders saying, "contribution." I'm sad he said he gave up, and purposely lost his chem book, out of anger. I asked her whether he could be moved to the front. She said he's so tall, 6'5'' that he will block someone. My son said his best friend, same height, sits up front so that retort was crazy. Regarding his best friend, at the conference, she show me his grade saying both of them are failing and there's no way they are going to pass. She even told me that she lost my son from the very beginning. Background: this teacher is from the Phillipeans(?) and due to her work visa was not able to teach until mid October. Students said she rushed through her curriculum to catch up with herself, and with her accent, was hard to understand. Was it right of her to show me someone else's grade to make a point? Oh, both boys are the only African Americans in the class and varsity basketball players. My son is a 3.3gpa with 3 honors classes. He wanted to take the AP test, now can't.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 12:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in

• I would go to the Principle. I had issues with some of my teachers in high school and my parents fought for me. Stand by your kid. If they say something is wrong with a teacher get to the bottom of it.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would take the issue up with the teacher first, if she can't give you viable answers and you can't reach some kind of understanding, that's when I would go to the principal.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, go speak to the Principal and be stern in support for your Son. I personally have experienced personality conflicts with teachers even when I was older in College. Sometimes some Students & Teachers do not mix well & as a rsult, the student suffers. I would switch him to another Teacher. After all, it is her JOB to have patience & TEACH the child in the class without embarrassing them or singling them out. Demand a New teacher or HER attitude to change. There are too many GOOD Teachers looking for a job these days to waste a child's time with one that does not do her job regardless. GL.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would definately say something!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Absolutely talk to the principal and explain the situation. I think he can still take the AP test, but check that as well. JMO but I'd try to avoid mentioning anything about race. And yes she was very WRONG to show you anyone else's paper. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Id say something. Maybe she just doesnt like athletes?>

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'd probably go the principal with my concerns.  I also do not think she should've let you see another kids paper, let alone know the other kids grade on it.  I wouldn't like that if I were the other parent either.  Goodluck.  You know your kid better than anyone.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would go to the principal and if you don't get the problem resolved there, take it to the superintendent. Sounds like that teacher needs to either get a co-teacher to watch her or loose her position.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would definately have a talk with the principal, I just wouldn't make it look like a racial issue, although it seems like it is. It is absolutely inappropriate to show another kid's grade to a parent, just like a doctor wouldnt tell what's wrong with his other patients, just like if a supervisor wrote someone up and shared with his/her co-workers! this teacher needs to get an attitude adjustment! don't give up, for your son!!!
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 7:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Go to the principal. A teacher is not to show another student's grade to anyone!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 1:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

Next question in
DeVry? Any experience with this school?

Next question overall (Health)
A health question....