Define "Inappropriate"... From both a reilgious, and non religious stand point. adult content

This should include nudity, or what you would call "X" rated pictures.

I know at least ONE response I'll get... interested in what the rest of you have to say.

ESPECIALLY since nude (but covering breasts) baby belly pics are widely accepted, as well as baby butts, and completely nude ultrasound pics as well.
Does being a male or female make a difference? Does a "nude" which isn't showing ANY "private" area of the body constitute as a "nude" in your book?

(I flagged it JUST FOR YOU! since we're TALKING about nudity)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't have an issue with nudity... Matter of fact, growing up, a lot of commercials and movies in my native country showed nudity. And of course, everybody in Europe goes topless on the beach pretty much all the time....

As for "inappropriate" nudity... I just don't see nudity as something inappropriate. We all have the same parts (well, women and men have different parts, but you know what I mean), and they're perfectly natural, so what's the big deal? Some people I'd rather NOT see playing beach volleyball in the nude, if you know what I mean, but that's more of an aesthetic thing, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'd say if it's in a Lever2000 commercial, it's perfectly fine, which covers about 99% of the parts, male and female

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The way the question is phrased, it seems to be about the difference between art and pornography. Nudity would only be considered "inappropriate" (I'm not sure why there's a religious aspect to this) if it's both sexually explicit and intended to titillate the viewer. Michelangelo's sculpture of David, therefore, would fall into the art category because it isn't intended to titillate. There may be some question about how we assign intent, but where a photo of a breastfeeding mom or a baby bump may depict skin, it's not designed to get someone off.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 1:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think a lot depends on context. Nudity isn't necessarily sexual. Sexually charged material may be inappropriate for kids even without explicit nudity. I think that people tend to think that nudity and sexuality are completely entwined... I think that's part of the discomfort some have with bf'ing in public, that the fact that it's a naked breast automatically makes it sexual. I disagree- I think context is way important in terms of appropriateness.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's what we do with our naked bodies that is sometimes inappropriate.
    I could be naked all day everyday, won't make me anymore sinful than I already am.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

•    ^^^^

"Inappropriate" without nudity..... My point is simple. Nudity (or even the words of sexual organs- PENIS!!!!- Gasp!) aren't of themselves inappropriate.

ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think it depends on the nature of the photo. And I wonder if it's me that brought this up? I cannot remember what the post was, but it was yesterday with a LARGE photo of a naked man covering his crotch (my 6 yr old was beside me). Breastfeeding does not bother me in the LEAST...it is a natural thing. I don't care if there's a half nude guy on my computer screen if it's in a post, but I think it should be flagged as adult content. We're clearly ALL mother's on this forum and many of us use this site with children around.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• And my response has nothing to do with my faith.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think it should be flagged as adult content

The point is, there's nothing in that picture you don't see in that commercial I linked, which I quite clearly remember being aired during after school cartoons and the Friday Night Must See TV family shows.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That doesn't make it right though. We've never seen the commercial.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011