My 6yr old doesnt listen to my husband or me! Gets in very moody tantrums about nothing,what to do?

My husband has been in my sons life since he was 3. Now he is 6 with big attitude! He loves and address my husband, but if something doesn't go his way, he says to hub, I don't like you anymore, or goes in room and sulks. How do we get him to respect without bribes. It's ridiculous, I'm worried in the long run, what this will do to husband and me. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• You don't need bribes- you need to command respect from him. This whole expecting kids to just respect you out of no where doesn't work. Neither does asking nicely for it- most times.

You need to tell him that his behavior is unacceptable and that he is only going to get less of what he wants if he keeps it up. Then follow through with it. Yes, he will be upset but you are his parent and you need to put him in his place. That sort of thing would never have flown in my house when I was growing up.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Who is the adult in this household? Take command, not just expect him to give respect. Next time he says it thats ok. Next time he asks to watch tv, no. Next time he asks for anything not a basic need, the answer is NO. Spoiled brats don't get what they want.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ignore him until he calms down, show him you will not reward him with attention when he has a fit
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 7:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Give him time to calm down and ignore some of the remarks. He is trying to express himself and such comments are normal and easily gotten over if you don't make a big deal of them. You can acknowledge his feelings..........."I know you are upset right now. Go to your room until you feel better". Something to that effect. I think him heading to his room on his own also gives everyone a breather. It's normal. Take all the anger out of it and be matter of fact. Make sure he gets one on one attention from both of you too and praise him when he does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2011