New flooring...how hard is it?

how hard it is to lay down your own hard wood flooring? Id like to do my kitchen.

DaNanny28

Asked by DaNanny28 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It is not hard, it just takes some time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My DH and I did it to the entire down stairs including the kitchen. It really depends on if you're using real wood or the laminate. It does take time, you have to rip of whatever is currently there, staple down the black paper I think called tar paper. Also you want to make sure the kitches is square, we found out part way through our living room wasnt lol and had to rip it up (the wood) and start over and compensate for it. i personally think its better to purchase the equipment rather than rent, it does get a bit spendy to buy, but hey then you have it. Make sure you don't set a time frame and cut yourself short b/c it can be time consuming. My DH just referenced the DIY website, he's really one of those do-it-yourselfers. GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think in a kitchen...you might be better off with stone floor instead of wood. Not all wood floors are tempered to handle heat from the oven or dishwasher.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 1:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• This is a good question. I have been wanting to do my livingroom and kitchen. First, I thought I would do laminate but then for the kitchen because of the diswasher and the heat, I thought maybe going back to tiles. I am wanting to do the lr in......I don't know yet......lol
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Look at a lot of videos online and a few books at Home Depot or Lowe's to understand what is involved.. There is lots of DIY help. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011