developing RLS during pregnancy

i was wondering if any other moms 2 be here developed Restless leg syndrome during their pregnancy and if so how did you deal with it?

Princessstar024

Asked by Princessstar024 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Sadly.. I developed RLS with my first pregnancy 5 years ago.. and it never left me. I have learned to deal with it more now over the years but it drove me INSANE while i was pregnant. Now, when I relax, i'll keep my feet moving (whether in rhythm, or rubbing together) to avoid the "tingles".
    When I go to bed at night, I put myself to sleep at night by rubbing my feet together; I fall asleep without ever feeling the symptoms of my RLS.
    rocketgirl22

Answer by rocketgirl22 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think I had this, but I can't be sure. It was only for a short period but it did drive me crazy. I stretched a lot, like I could not stretch my legs enough. I've read that it is possible that it could be caused by an iron deficiency. I was put on an iron supplement for moderate anemia anyway but I think it helped with the RLS. Good luck! Hang in there it's all worth it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I had it with all three of my pregnancies and it normally only happened when I was exhausted. I will still have it on occassion when I just wear myself out. The only thing I could do to help it was to try not to get that tired. Kind of hard when you're pregnant - you're almost always tired.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I had it before I was pregnant, and then when I got pregnant it was awful. To keep it from coming, I would only get into bed when I was really ready to go to sleep - if I didnt fall asleep within a half hour - I would get up and walk around, then try again. Laying still for too long awake was what would do it for me. If I didnt prevent it, I would move my toes up towards my shin. Just stretch the whole leg out and up. Or walk. Walking was my best solution.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• thank you ladies I had developed this when I was pregnant with my oldest son and It would come back every now and then but I didn't develope this before any of my pregnancies. But I didn't mention it to my ob yet because everytime I talk to a dr about it they would tell me that it's nothing. My next dr's appt is comming up in two weeks and I will mention this to her.. Thanks again for all your advice and help.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i had it before pregnancy and had to take a bath every night of my pregnancy so i could go to sleep. it didn't get better after the pregnancy either. it is worse now than pre prego. my mom and gpa have it too so i just have to find what works for me to deal with it. def mention it to your doc they have meds for it.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 1:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008