Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Presuing child support. Now or later?

The father is threatening to try and take my baby away when she is born. I don't have money for lawyers to fight him in court. I don't want him in our life. Should I ask for child support when the baby is born or wait a few years and let the back child support accumulate? I'm debating on even going after him for support at all. Will he have to pay for his child even if I wait years to go after him?

Answer Question

Asked by Morenci at 11:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • If I were you start the process for child support before the baby is born. Also go to family court and request for sole custody of your baby before she is born. That way the dad will have no way of trying to take her away from you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • You have to first file for full custody of the baby, then file for child support... If u all have joint you are entitled to nothing... You have to do it when the baby is born though but you can wait a couple of months or so... Don't be worried... The father cant take the baby from you, no judge would grant that.... unless you did drugs or drank alot and the baby was in an unsafe environment... not saying that you do just explaning..... but it is better to do it within the first yr because i know of alot of people where i work that the judge wouldnt grant sole custody after a year... but every state is diffrent....

    Answer by Pooky_mommy at 11:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • Personally, and I have said this before, I would not pursue child support and I would not name him as the father. I would put unknown on the birth certificate. I would also tell child support that you do not know who the father is or could be (if you are on state assistance). My first DD's father is that way and I was advised to do all this when I was pregnant with her. I didn't and I have regretted it ever since. If you do not want him to have a chance at taking the baby, this is how you cut him out. I wish I would have.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • I'm dealing with the same issue. First off, the best thing is make sure he NOT there when the baby is born, because then he doesnt sign the Acknowledgement of Paternity, granting you automatic sole custody of the baby. Then you file for child support, it will only accumulate when papers have been filed and such. However if you file child support they will do a paternity test because he didn't sign the birth cirtificate and the paper stated above, Then you will have to go threw Custody Court Seperately.

    Answer by SweetPoison at 11:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2008


    But if you don't want him in your life at all, I would just file for him to give up his rights, that way he doesn't have ANY rights to your child and you remain the full custodial parent, the bad part about that is he will not pay child support. I hope everything works out for the best, need any more help im more than willing. I'm tryin to keep my sons father out of my son's life right now and he keeps threatening to take him away. But I just laugh in his face! lol

    Answer by SweetPoison at 11:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • just dont put him on the birth certificate and talk to a child support worker as far as what else you should do.. if you do name him as the father, write down ANYTHING that can be taken as threats towards you or the issu of your daughter.. im sorta in the same situation

    Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

  • Things probably vary from state to state but I think that no matter how long you wait to file, once the baby is proven to be his (and please don't take that as I'm being cold), he'll have to pay no matter what.

    Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

  • Not putting him on the birth certificate may not be enough to protect you. All it takes is a blood test to prove paternity.

    Check with your local legal aid society. You may be able to get pro bono assistance. Also look for any women's rights groups in you area for help. DO NOT go this alone.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.