Going on vacation this weekend... need advice.

We are taking our 20 month old daughter on a trip to Mall of America this weekend. It is a 10 hour drive there and back. We have never traveled that long with a child that age. I was wondering have you taken your young one on a long trip? How did you keep them occupied? Anything that you wished that you could have done differently?

simplysavvy

Asked by simplysavvy at 1:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A DVD or two.  Or three :)  Sing along CD's.  If you can take it, lol.  20 months is young, maybe schedule most of the driving for night time or nap time?  Road games also, might not be easy for that age, but we do the ABC's and pick out signs that begin with each letter.  You can do something similar, like looking for colors.  My son loves looking out at the road.  If you can, maybe put the car seat in the middle (if you don't already) of the back seat so she can see out the window ahead of her.  My experience is that kids are better than I'd have thought on long car rides. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank you. Your answer has eased my mind about this trip.
    simplysavvy

Comment by simplysavvy (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Definitely some DVDs. Also, try to drive when she would normally sleep. Sing a lot!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011