Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do you think it is fair that a parent of a minor child has to pay for their child until 18?

My sister is 17 and living with my mother. My mother is providing the home for the child til my sister is old enough to move out with the baby. The father's parents think it is unfair for them to pay child support for their son. What do you think? Personally I think it is fair. My mother is paying for the baby. The father of my sister's baby thought he had another child by another girl before he got my sister pregnant. So unprotected sex is a reoccurring thing for him. Thank goodness my sister has the mirena in. I think it is slso unfair to the taxpayers but I won't get into that.

Addition comments..........................

I look at it as this, if your child breaks something you are responsible for their actions while they are underage. This is same logic should apply to them becoming parents. Just like you would pay for the broken window you would pay for the child they brought into this world. You are responsible for your child's actions until they are 18. At least in the state of Ohio. Which is where my sister lives. Her parents had to pay, why should'nt  his?

Answer Question

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 1:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 7 (184 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • I think its fair. My dd got pregnant at 16 and when she had her baby she lived with me. Her bf didnt pay child support, and we didnt ask for it. They didnt live together but they were still together. Even though I know it was not my fault she got pregnant, she was and is my responsibility. My main concern was her education & my grandsons well being. Alot of teen dads dont have to pay child support. I know in my state/county my friends son had a baby with his gf. He was 16, she was 15. They went to child supp court & the judge said his parents have 0 responsibility financially. He was ordered to pay CS but it was suspended until he graduated HS.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • I think the father should have to get a job and pay the child support. He could work at McDonalds and make $150 a week. $100 of that should go to his child support which would mean your sister (or your mom, which is where I think it should go) could get $400 a month in child support. Of course, the system isn't going to do it that way, but that's the way I think it should be done.

    Answer by scout_mom at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • It isn't their responsibility to pay his child support FOR HIM. It's your mothers choice to harbor your sister until she's 18 as well, because there are plenty of people making it that work full time and don't have to be on PA.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • I think my children are my responsibility and yes, I think they should pay child support.

    Answer by salexander at 1:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • I was living ON MY OWN when I was 17, with my 18 month old daughter... Do I believe it is "fair"? NO. They are responsible for their child, the fact that they did not terminate the pregnancy, AND that they kept the infant... they are responsible for her care, and to pay her way. *shakes head*

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • No, I dont think they should have to pay. Just as your mother is no longer required to pay for your sister. She had a child and so is now an adult. They choose to because they love her, but they don't have to.

    The underage mom and dad could move out of their parents house and go on welfare. Not that I would suggest that, but they could.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • Excuse me my sister is not on anything but the medical card which I know people that are adults on that. The father does nothing for the baby and the parents have been in this situation with him before. In my state you have to care for your child til they are 18. You cannot just kick them out. Both parents in my eyes are at fault. The parents contributed to this situation. They allowed the teens to continue having unprotected sex after they knew about it. Either sides did their part as parents. I think til they are 18 parents should have to provide. Both sides.

    Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • i agree wif child support 100% but i dont agree with the low life fathers that dont see there children and they get off with paying 65 frickin dollars a MONTH r you kinding me thats just crazy my baby daddy pays that for my son and it gets under my skin cause the other fathers out here that try and see there kids paying like 300 and some a month. but yea if the kids not living with you of course you should pay for the child to eat and clothes and eveyrthing else!

    Answer by kolbysmama20 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • In Ohio you are not an adult til 18. There is no emancipation. My mother looked into it.

    Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

  • Oh and no a child that has a child in Ohio can just move out lol!!! Who ever told you that must not know Ohio law. I was a teen mother I would know.

    Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.