Any MTs out there? Wanna give a newbie some advice?

I am about to graduate with my medical transcription diploma and I have started looking for work online. Everyone wants at least 2 year's experience. I have over a decade of accounting/real estate experience, but nada in the medical field yet. I know I would be great at it, I just need to gain some experience. Any advice on how to get my foot in the door would be greatly appreciated.

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have been doing it for the last 6 years. I tell everyone that is starting out to just keep at it. Make up business cards and give them to all the doctor offices in your area, you may find one that is unhappy with their service and wants to change, that is how I got hooked up with the doctor i transcribe for and that was 6 years ago. Go to your local hospitals too. I agree, it is very hard in the beginning since you don't have any experience but keep at it and you will find someone who will give you a chance. Good luck to you. Hope this info helps.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It does actually...I hadn't thought about business cards. That is a great idea! Do you think door to door would be best or mailing them? Or possibly calling them first to let them know I would like to send them a card? That way if I can charm someone on the phone, they would be less likely to just throw the card away. I am good at making good first impressions. Do you think picture on the card or no? Oh thank you so much! This helped a lot.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Offer to volunteer at a hospital or medical office.

What is your plan when EMR replaces transcriptionists?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011