Doula

Did you have a doula or do you plan on having a doula? If you did, what did you like or dislike about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did have one with my second pregnancy. I was single and I needed somebody to go to birthing classes with me! The day I went into labor...she came over and ordered pizza with me and drove me to the hospital. I had a very easy labor for 6 hours...didn't even think I was having real contractions. So we just talked. Once I got the hospital I was screaming and had my daughter 10 min later. She got some pictures for me, held my hand, and wrote up a nice birth story for my daughter.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had one with my first. I didn't see it as being much help because there were some medical interventions - he got stuck in the birth canal, they had to use the vacuum to get his head out and then break his shoulder to get the rest of him out. She had been in attendance at numerous births but the look on her face was pure horror. It took them several minutes for the NICU team (they were rushed to the room when he came out blue) to get him breathing and she scared me more than anything. I didn't know the sex of the baby and I was practically screaming wanting them to tell me if it was a boy/girl and she looked at me and said "do you really want to know?" YES I wanted to know! She came highly recommended and maybe if it had been a "normal" birth it would have been better, but . . . needless to say, I did not have one with my 2nd or 3rd babies. I had my ex and that was enough.

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never used one. Just wasnt for me.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No ma'am went to the hospital both times!
    Mommylovesu2011

Answer by Mommylovesu2011 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm going with a doula. She is really experience and has been there through several different births that presented problems. She isn't "cheap" but she is far more reasonable than many other doulas in Chicago. Many of them charge $700-$1400 we are paying ours $400. The most important thing is that you click with her and that you feel like you would be comfortable with her there while you are in labor.

My DF and I interviewed several doulas and knew this one was the one because we wound up just chatting for over 2 hours. Its going to be great to have her there for backup for my DF. I told her I wanted her to help him help me more than I wanted her there just for myself. She loved that that was what I wanted. She also said that she isn't above running back to our place to walk the dogs or go to the store to get camera batteries either if that's what we needed from her.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Not my thing.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011