Why do I have to learn spanish??

So i got this new job and my manager ASSumed I was bilingual cause im hispanic, but im not! Its not listed on my resume and they never asked if i was during the interview. Now I have to learn to speak spanish cause im the only hispanic in the office. I mean, I understand some of it, but not alot of technical terms in spanish, I think its messed up all the pressure is on me to talk to all the mexican people. Why cant the other girls learn spanish?

note: i am taking this chance to learn it cause i always wanted to but my manager looks at me stupid when i tell her i cant understand what the people are saying

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Because it is to your advantage.........

Answer by older at 2:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It is to your advantage, but in all honesty you don't HAVE to! I wish I could take time out to learn it, I am having a hard time finding a job just because I can't speak a diff. language other than English.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Racist? i don't know- but if you understand some of it, then you probably already have a head start on the other employees kwim? But yeah it does sound racist.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had to learn Spanish (no I'm not Hispanic) because there are so many immigrants in our area who refuse to learn English. Working for the school system it was a requirment to be able to communicate with parents who won't learn English. It's a bunch of bull as far as I'm concerned. If you want to live a country, learn it's language.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Amen, scout mom!!!!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Sounds totally racist that they assumed.
    However, my DH worked in a company where all the floor workers were hispanic and very few spoke english. He as a mechanic as well as all the office people (who didn't speak spanish) were required to learn it.
    That's what we get for not having any official language. Big mistake if you ask me. One of the first duties of the first governments created centuries ago was to create a universal language so everyone in the country could communicate with each other.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well they shouldn't have assumed you spoke spanish just because you are hispanic. and the thing about it i want to say you should get paid more for being a translator too. i know it sucks but i guess either you quit because of it or start learning.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You shouldn't have to. If you don't know the language already regardless of your nationality/ethnicity then everyone should be required to learn. You are being singled out and that is called discrimination and that is illegal.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Just learn it think of all the possibilities crazy girl I speak Spanish but not proper like the books in school but hey I can communicate and vise versa just learn it you can do this who knows they just might want to pay you more for that you never know GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011