My daughter may have eaten a battery; what should be done?

My husband just called me at work and told me our 23-month-old daughter may have eaten a button cell battery. Is this something that will come out on it's own and doesn't need to be worried about, like money, or is there something that needs to be done about it? He's calling the doctor to see what they say, but wanted some input while waiting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Call the ER right away!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• ER ASAP?
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go to the ER

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• ER!!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• They beat me to it - Get her to the ER NOW. Stomach acid will erode the casings of the battery and the acid will then attack her body from the inside... Get her seen NOW!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Take her straight to the er
    sweetangel8211

Answer by sweetangel8211 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would take her to the ER right away, the acid could start seeping into her blood stream......I hope she will be alright
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 2:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• ER!! my youngest did that she grabbed a ink pen that had 1 in it and undone it so fast came out screaming it burns , i took her to the er they did xrays because if it gets stuck in certain area she would have needed surgery. but it went down but she had to have anther xray to make sure it left her system a few days later. If it is stuck it ould erode causing damage. DO NOT hesitate ER!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Go to the ER! batteries have acid in them and if it ruptures in her tummy you'll have bigger problems than whether or not it will pass.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 4:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank you, all. We took her to the ER and got X-rays--no battery, thank goodness.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011