What should i be feeding my six month old

My son will be six months old on the third as of right now he eats 9oz of formula every three hourse and 4tbs of cereal mixed with formula once a day. i get wic and starting in april im only geting 8 cans of formula and some baby food. so should i already be giveing him something other than a bottle of formula? Should he be geting juice or more cereal aday?
i am geting so confused everything i read is diffrent and my mom was telling me she gave me baby food early but that was 26 years ago have things changed. i just dont know what i am suppose to be eating.

mflint

Asked by mflint at 2:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At six months I think you should start him on baby food. He also should be able to start juice, watered down at first and limit to 6 oz per day.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• At six months baby can start tasting different soft foods from your place, avacado, banana, and sweet potatoes are all good first foods. I'd skip the cereal, it's just filler and has no real nutritional value. All a baby really needs the first year is breastmilk or forumla, food is just for experiencing different tastes and textures.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No need for juice the first year. You can start baby food now. Fruits and veggies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We started our kids on the Gerber 1st Foods veggies. We'd start substituting one nursing a day, like breakfast, with a veggie and when they were done eating fill in the cracks with a nursing if they wanted it. I was recommended to start my kids on the veggies first so they didn't always crave the sweeter of the fruits.

Also, PAY ATTENTION to what he eats and if he has any kind of reaction to the food at all. My daughter would get these rashes at her temples when eating most fruits and the sweet potatoes. They'd show up within minutes of starting a food and be gone just as fast after we stopped. She never had a problem with fresh fruits, just the Gerber stuff. Once we made the connection between food and rash we were very careful about what she ate and now that she's 4 she has zero food allergies. *I* think it's because we caught things before it got too bad.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My Pedi told me to go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com it tells you what foods they can eat at different ages. Lots of great info there
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Rosehawk mentioned that they used solids to replace nursing sessions. I want to make sure that OP knows that in the first year, breast milk or formula ALWAYS comes BEFORE a solid feeding. It's nurse/offer bottle, then offer solids. You don't want them to fill up on solids and take in less breast milk or formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• 9 oz of formula every 3 hours? Does your pedi know he's eating that much? I think there's a maximum amount of formula that's recommended per day, like 32 ounces?
    Anonymous

• the max in a day is 40oz . yes she know and hes not over weight hes just over the 50thpercent. he on average has 4 bottles and cereal a day/
    mflint

Comment by mflint (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011